Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

Samuel Gawith Blends - Black XX "Rope"

Packed in a rectangular tin, it is a long, jet-black "rope" bent around inside the tin. It looks like a dog poop. There was also a small detached section in the tin I purchased. I broke this section up, rubbed it out, and proceeded to (try) to smoke it.

First off, I had long wanted to try this. It is a pipe tobacco being sold in the same form for over two centuries. It was originally used both as a chew and as pipe tobacco. When rubbed out it does not break apart like a sliced flake. It is the actual tobacco leaf unsliced, so when rubbed out it becomes a (very rough) broad cut leaf tobacco.

A strange casing is added to this tobacco which I can in no way identify. The tin aroma is STRONG - and the taste even stronger. I was unable to make it through one bowl - the nicotine or casking or both is overpowering! So I felt I was out $11 on one-half bowl of tobacco ... but I was wrong!

As the "rope" was still intact - I had smoked only the small plug section also included in the tin - I put the "rope" to good use. We have two new Lab puppies, and I was able to use the "rope" as a fake dog turd on the coach, sending my wife into a frenzy. I later used it on my daughter's bed and on the living room carpet at my mother-in-law's to like humorous (for me, anyway) and dramatic effect. I am willing to lend it to any CW member who needs to employ it in like fashion.

In closing - a terrible tobacco, but a very realistic and useful fake dog turd!