Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

GTO Pain Killer

Today was a good day to smoke this Pain Killer. The temp. is in the 50s so it is very comfortable outside.
I don't know anything about GTO cigars. The cigar measures 6 by about 54. Both ends are tapered but the middle is an even cylinder. It's basically a toro with diadema ends. The foot end has a slight opening to facilitate easy lighting. The red and gold band is sort of flashy. it reads: GTO Legendary Classic Premium Cigar 1956. There are a couple medallions on either side. One reads: Dom Rep, the other Hand Made. A separate band has the Pain Killer moniker.

The wrapper is light brown and smooth. Not a shade or maduro, maybe a habano or something similar.
I clipped the end with a guillotine and put a match to the tiny opening. It lit readily. Puffing away the flavor was okay. It just had a smooth tobacco flavor. I'd call it light to medium body. I tried to find a flavor analogy, but I got nothing.
The ash was pretty white and fly away. Knocking the ash off revealed a slight cone and was sometimes flat. It burned a bit sideways at first but settled into straight without any special effort.
About halfway the flavor opened of some and gave me a slightly richer smoke. It was pleasant. But a definitive flavor analogy still eluded me. I liked the second half better than the first.
Toward the end the cigar got kind of spongy and I used my Perfect Draw tool to open the tapered end up.
I think it was a fairly mild cigar. Not great, but good. I'm giving it a 7 of 10. I have a corona gorda size that I think I might like a little better.

Epilogue: What I can find online says the shape is a figurado. It's a Dominican puro. The wrapper is a corojo with all Dominican ligero filler.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote