Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
univibe88
Herf Meister

Tujague's Bloody Mary

My favorite bloody is from Tujaque's in New Orleans. I have been meaning to try and figure them out. The last time I was there I noticed theirs isn't too thick and isn't too tomatoey. They use a very flavorful mix and go barely more mix than booze.

I came up with this:
8 ice cubes in a shaker
2 oz gin (I prefer gin, but this is the one place I won't cringe at someone using vodka....but that's an entirely different discussion)
3 oz campbells tomato juice
a bit (maybe a 1/4 teaspoon at most - too much makes it taste like cocktail sauce) of horseradish (the stuff in the jar with nothing but horseradish, vingar, salt...not prepared horseradish or creamed horseradish)
1 dash Lea & Perrins
3 dashes Tabasco
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
healthy shake of course ground black pepper (and I mean healthy. I remember seeing black specks throughout the Tujaques ones.)
squeeze 1/4 of a lemon

Shake the hell out of this. I want some water off of the ice.

Dump it all into a double old fashioned glass, toss in the rind from that squeezed lemon wedge and stir with a celery stick.

I think the "secrets" are the proportions, the pepper (both black and cayenne) AND the salt. Yup, the salt. Talk to any chef about properly seasoned food.