Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Glengoyne 12YO Cask Strength

Glengoyne 12 Year Old Cask Strength – 57.2%

Colour: Full gold with a light touch of teak.
Nose: The fragrant, nicely cushioned overture of macerated pears and apples arrives accompanied by vanilla and honeyed orange zest scone overtones. Wood-derived scents suggestive of roots and leaves follow closely.
Palate: The palate entry is quite viscous at full strength, and exhibits good balance between sweet, fruit-laden malt and lively spirit. Pepper and ginger spiced oak crackles amidst the flickering high proof flames, serving to highlight complementary sensations of nuts and cream. Greater dryness eventually emerges. But it comes tempered by softening notes of overripe, fallen fruit and intertwining strands of malt imbued with a subtle earthiness.
Assessment: This expression represents more than a mere stepping stone between the demure 10 Year Old and richer 17 Year Old. Indeed, its heightened presence seems, at first acquaintance, rather un-Glengoyne-like. Nonetheless, the intrinsic characteristics of the distillery’s make – especially that signature, almost edible barley thrust – are there along with the added panache cask-strength bottling brings.
Summary: Give it a drop or two of water, as well as some time in the glass, and you will be rewarded.

And any of you who find the aforementioned 10YO and 17YO editions too 'retiring' might just want to give this one a try.