Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
birddawg
Starting Member

Bought my first pipe!

I bought my first pipe on Friday! Thanks for all of your help from my previous post. I ended up buying a Briar pipe for about $30. It has nice pecan-colored wood with a slightly bent stem, but the pipe itself is straight.

I bought four ounces of Black Cavendish and four ounces of the tobacco shop's Excalibur house blend. I enjoy both of them and the whole smoking a pipe thing in general.

However I have some problems keeping the pipe burning. I know this is always a problem, but perhaps I am packing the tobacco wrong. How do you guys recommend to pack it?
birddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
ZachS
Club Member

Re: Bought my first pipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddawg
I bought my first pipe on Friday! Thanks for all of your help from my previous post. I ended up buying a Briar pipe for about $30. It has nice pecan-colored wood with a slightly bent stem, but the pipe itself is straight.

I bought four ounces of Black Cavendish and four ounces of the tobacco shop's Excalibur house blend. I enjoy both of them and the whole smoking a pipe thing in general.

However I have some problems keeping the pipe burning. I know this is always a problem, but perhaps I am packing the tobacco wrong. How do you guys recommend to pack it?
Congrats on your purchase! Out of curiosity, what kind of blend is this 'excalibur'?

It's much easier to show than to tell - if anybody at your B&M smokes a pipe, have them show you how they do it. Regardless, you're going to have to invest a lot of time to figure out how to make it work for you. It's not a skill you can pick up overnight.

ZachS
ZachS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Deriffe
Herf Meister

Go to http://www.pipes.org and join. Read the forums. There are links to a video that demonstrates the gravity method. If you do a search in this room, you should also find the same link.

Father, Mother, Child is a way to remember it. Hold the pipe in one hand and drop tobacco in until it is almost to the top of the bowl. Tamp it pretty hard (Father). Repeat and tamp it easier (Mother). Repeat and tamp it gently until the tobacco is just under the edge of the rim.

Light it evenly and thoroughly and don't worry about having to relight. It's no big deal. The tobacco might be a little wet also so let it dry out a bit before smoking (especially that black cavendish).

http://www.myspace.com/deriffe01
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
samiam2
Club Member

dawg, congrats. Relax and enjoy, patience, patience, enjoy. This is a lifetime indulgence so make it last.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
birddawg
Starting Member

I'm not exactly sure what is in the excalibur blend, but I could find out next time I buy some more.

Two questions I thought of since my last post:
-Should I store my pipe with a pipe cleaner in the stem?
-Should I ever empty the ash from the bowl while smoking, or should I just leave it there until I'm done?

Thanks
birddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
LabRatGDI
Herf God

No to the pipe cleaner in the stem. This makes absolutely zero sense to me. Think about it...if you had a 4 inch diameter pipe that was wet, would it dry faster stuffing it with a towel, or air drying?

The towel would hold the dampness in with no circulation at all. I would think this would be the worst thing you could do.

What I do with the ash is after tamping it for a while, tip it over and let the loose ash fall out. That usually clears it out enough without allowing the cherry to get too hot.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote