Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #51
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Time to revive this thread.
The FDA has their "deeming" up for public notice.
Incase you don't know, Deeming is "the parent will tell you what to do" crap, straight from the government.

They will kill our vice now, if we don't speak up. And if you don't stand with us, where will we be when it's time to protect your vice?
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #52
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Just a thought but not sure I see smoking a cigar as a vice, framing it that way while understandable, doesn't play well.

I/ve mady my comments to the FDA.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #53
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Vice in the colloquial term, I suppose - but yeah that could be misinterpreted by a literal definition. Not sure what alternate word one would use to describe "what you enjoy that perhaps everyone else might not"
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #54
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

vice has negative connotations, I would suggest avoiding it, semantics do matter

avocation is a good word I think, hobby might work too.

"I like but you don't like" sounds like a contest "this is something I like and here is why I like it"

maybe it is potato/potato tomato/tomato but maybe it helps the cause

http://www.cigarrights.org/fda-response.php

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #55
beevod
Herf God

It's not a hobby, it's not a vice, it's cigar smoking, an enjoyable way to pass the time and reflect. Some people do consider cigars a vice, usually the same people who down a pint of ice cream in one sitting or drive at 55mph in the passing lane.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

"Avocation" that's a great word to go along with and ahead of hobby. I'm going to start using that. Thanks.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #57
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
"Avocation" that's a great word to go along with and ahead of hobby. I'm going to start using that. Thanks.
I like it! I'm going to use it also.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #58
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Check this one out!
lungs-from-pack-a-day-smokers-safe-for-transplant-study-finds?lite That's from NBC News, NOT one of my favorite networks!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #59
Ringo
Club Member

I ignore them. Drives them crazy.