Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Smogre
Club Member

Lagavulin 16 - Wow!

Let me start by saying I normally drink Balvenie Double Wood, Oban or Talisker. As of last night I ventured into a few different kinds of Scotch. I picked up 3 different bottles. I won't discuss the other two bottles but they were good as well.
While I don't have all the details, which I'm sure someone will provide to this post, I found Lagavulin 16 an amazing drink.
Up front the nose had a pleasant fruit tone with a heavy smoke presence. I've had a smoky scotch before and I didn't like it much. I couldn't tell you what it was from memory. Needless to say, I was a bit hesitant.
My first taste was assaulted with the smoke confirming my fears of an overpowering campfire taste. What happened next completely changed my opinion and I'm hoping someone can confirm my taste bud here...I thought I detected what people call peaty. I can't recall ever eating peat moss or something peaty before but I'm pretty sure that was the flavor profile left on my tongue. I really enjoyed it. It seemed to cleanse my palate.
My second sip went deeper.
The fruit notes I smelled really hit me up front. The sweet slightly citric florals were very nice. The smoke followed up shortly after that and then again, a peaty finish. I really started warming up to it at this point.
My third sip repeated the flavors but with one important difference. That strong alcohol breath was not very evident. You know what I mean? You take a sip, swallow, breath and the fumes seem to water you eyes type of reaction. Well, that didn't seem so strong. I wonder if the smoke softened the blow and the peat cleaned my palate, leaving me ready for another sip and ultimately my third glass...I can't say I tasted any salty notes but then again, I wasn't really looking for it.
In the end, I fear I slipped further into the scotch realm and was pleasantly surprised. I say fear only because at that price, my pocket will feel the impact.

What do you guys think of Lagavulin 16?