Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2002, 07:29 PM   #1
MetsFan
Herf God

Before I give my review, I need to provide some background. A couple of weeks ago, I won a contest my JHuber for a CAO hat. We got into an e-mail discussion about CAO cigars. I was honest with him and told him I really didn't care for the eXtremes. I had smoked a few of them in different sizes and of different ages and always found them to be harsh and unpleasant. While well-made and attractive, they just weren't my cup of tea. He said he would send me one more to try as he had faith in the cigar.

So, with great humility, I must confess I really liked the CAO eXtreme toro Jon sent. I smoked it after cutting work a little early to go tip a few brews.

Overall, the cigar was a very nice looking. The only cosmetic flaw was a raggedly cap. Although, this may have been my fault as I droped my travel case a couple of times so it could have gotten banged in there.

Draw was perfect. I like a little resistance in a cigar and this hit the mark perfectly. The amount of smoke this thing gave off was a sight to be seen. It looked like someone had turned on a fog machine at the bar. Burn was pretty good. I needed a little touch-up about about the 2/3 point but was otherwise a non-issue.

But all of that is secondary. The flavor is what's important. Gone was the harshness that I'd had in other eXtremes. In its place was a nice full body. Almost coffee-like. I didn't get too much of a kick from the cigar and would call it on the full side of medium.

Overall, it was a very fine cigar. I've been smoking Cubans almost exclusively as of late and this cigar did not disappoint.

So, I freely admit I was wrong about the eXtremes. Thanks Jon for forcing my hand. I will be acquiring more of these in the future.

Mooch of the Month, March 2002
MetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote