Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
1 Leg Lance

Saint Luis Rey Churchill (I think) Mystery Stick

Yesterday was a day for sitting on the patio with a good book and that is one of the rare times I will go hunting for a longer cigar than my normal petite corona to corona desires.
A bit of digging into the singles humidor turned up an unbanded mysterty stick that caught my eye.
Great claro wrapper color, very fine viens, a bit of tooth on the leaf, flat top and triple cap. All good signs with the last too leaning me towards a habano origin.
Normally I would light it up and just enjoy it without much thought. But my 15yr old son has expressed an interest in cigars so I figured this was a good time for some education.

First we pulled out the Guide to Habanos Kit I picked up years and years ago in Havana. It has a measuring tool, fold out chart and a nice book on the growing/making of cigars in Cuba.
We figured out we had a Julieta #2 viltola at 7x47 on our hands. Very classic full size cigar.

Nice came the fold out guide and a rattle of my memory to think what I could have bought years and years ago (I knew this stick was 8-10 yrs old as that was the last time I bought any unbanded cabs.
After some pre-light sniffing I narrowed it down to a few ideas, which meant lighting it up was the next order of biz.

Pre-light impression:
Great construction, firm but not tight, very nice wrapper, and that particular habano smell and taste on the pre-light draw.

Early impression:
Toasted and lite with ease, very mild stick. Cedar, leather with hints of spice but more than anything smooth and mild. I would say I aged this puppy too long if the strength doesn't pick up.

Mid-point impression:
Yep I am thinking past the peak on this one...very smooth, very mild and one that would be great for someone who has never had a cigar at all and was worried about getting their butt kicked. I had to release smoke through my nose to really define any flavors and they were all muted.
The burn and such were perfect and the construction was flawless.

End Point impression:
I was able to get almost an hour & half out of this one as I was reading and enjoying it to the nub. Nice not to have to pick a band off but reminds me why I always worried with my cabs that I would forget what the singles were. Very mild, super smooth but too long in the bottom of the humidor as I wished there was more of the great taste.

So after reviewing my notes, my son and I pulled out the Ill. Encyl of Post Revol Havana cigars...that incredible book with the terrible name..and we went to look at what came in cabs that were Julieta #2's and were on the mild side...
The only thing that matched my notes, the options and what I was buying all those years ago was a Saint Luis Rey Churchill....so that is what I think it was.
Good cigar and I wish I had smoked it a few years ago as it would have been a great cigar then.

Enjoy
Lance

Last edited by 1 Leg Lance; 03-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.
1 Leg Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Unique - and fun - review, Lance. Thanks!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A stylish review of a very stylish cigar.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Enjoyable review Lance, thanks for sharing!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote