Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
1 Leg Lance

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #1

I have recently introduced some co-workers to the world of habanos and this has caused me to revisit some smokes I enjoyed in the past but have moved away from.
One of those is the HdM Epi #1 as it is a larger ring gauge than I prefer.

This was marked Feb 09 and is 24hrs post transit...yeah I know I should let it rest for a bit, but come on it was smelling so great and they look nice and oily.

So here is my review:

Pre-light impression:
Manure Habano smell is right on. Great looking wrapper even for a 3x5 packaging (I often find these are less than pretty due to the box to hide the stick).
The cap cut cleanly with my pocket knife and the draw was right on, not to easy, not to firm.

Early phase:
First third of the cigar is the herbal, mellow, flavor I remembered from years ago. Nothing super strong and no single taste jumps out. I would not want to have this after spicy food or with a strong beverage but as an afternoon smoke they are great.

Mid-point:
Even burn and the flavor stayed smooth without really picking up strength. Still a mild mix of spices (not pepper spice if that is what you are thinking). Just an mellow cigar that stays nice. One relight/touch up required due to my fault while typing on another forum.

End of the stick:
Stupid double cigar band is a pain in the butt to tear off just so I can keep enjoying the cigar. Stopped smoking it with about 2in left...more as it was sleepy time, I get home around 1130pm. Could have smoked farther down as the stick staying nice, no harsh buildup.

Finish/after thoughts:
Some cigars really linger on your palette but this isn't one of them. Any beverage will wash it away which is nice. I am a fan of mild but flavorful cigars that get me thinking about what I am tasting...even though I am terrible at naming those taste

Again this is a larger ring gauge than I normally smoke but all in all I was happy I came back to visit these. I hope the rest I smoke out of the pack is just as good and of course I can't wait to share with my friends. I would recommend these to a person who like mild cigars...If you prefer a Romeo Cazadores then run away.

Enjoy and please share your thoughts on these as that is more fun that me posting a lonely review of my thoughts.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Great review, Lance. Thanks!

Hoyo is one of those marcas I don't smoke a whole lot of, but I definitely have a place in my humidor for milder cigars that pack a lot of flavor and complexity. I think I have one of these close at hand, so I'll have to see if I can find it. I've got a big cigar weekend ahead of me, so I'd like to take advantage of that opportunity to see if my impressions of this cigar mirror yours.

Cheers!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
1 Leg Lance

Looking forward to your thoughts...mirror or not that is the fun.
So I wanted to post a pic with my review but didn't see an Image Icon....I will hunt for it next time.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

Nice review, Lance! Thanks.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote