Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
1 Leg Lance

Monte #4 Feb 12..oh you dark beauty

I have some co-workers who are coming over to the dark side and I placed a few orders for sticks I wanted them to try.
One of those was the tried and true Monte #4, yeah I know they are good but I over the years I moved away from them to my favorites like Sancho's, Rafeal's, SLR's, Boli's and other petite coronas/coronas.

Wow but what fun to come back to a cigar that you know is a good stick and crack a box of dark, oily, musky, classics like these.

I went for a 10 count in order to spread the money around and I am going to pop for a 25 or 50 just to see if I can get more of this quality.

The smell on opening the box is everything that is habanos...that fresh after rain barnyard smell that sweeps me off to a happy place.

Pre-light impression:
As I said, dark, oily, firm with a bit of box press. The construction is of course excellent as to expect with the #1 cigar out of Habanos, SA. And yet I am often surprised that the production push doesn't make more of these suck.
The draw was spot on with a tangy tobacco taste that just makes you reach for a lighter....and yet NOT light up for a bit just to enjoy it.

Early impression:
Well you will never have to run to the spice rack to understand what I get from cigars. I just don't have that type of taste buds. I get leather, earth, pepper, spice (from nutmeg to ginger to cinnamon), cedar and that is about it.
The Monte #4 gives what I can best describe as a classic tobacco taste of pepper and....well tobacco. Solid smoke from the start and a sharp but fun flavor. You don't have to reach or ponder if you are smoking a good cigar, this one just plain ol' lays in on your mouth and says "enjoy this".

Mid point impression:
Well I gotta say I sometimes imagine the blenders in Havana sitting around talking about how to put together a good, solid, basic cuban cigar that everyone in the world will enjoy. Oh yeah they do and it is a Monte #4. Nothing super special that only works for some folks. Just good straight up tobacco taste, pepper and flavor, nothing harsh yet plenty of body so you don't forget you are smoking. The burn stayed even, the ash was firm and all what right in the world.

End point impression:
This is a bit more cigar than I would normally want late a night after for and right before going to bed. As an ICU RN I get home a bit before midnight and enjoy a bit of decompression before drifting off to sleep. Well this is more like a "wake up and look around" smoke vs something mellow and herbal. But I still enjoyed all the way past the band. The burn stayed true, the taste never got harsh, stronger but not harsh.

After thoughts:
Well there are still 9 more sticks in this box...and I figure I will go ahead and share them but I look forward to trying a couple more myself and if the others are solid smokes like this then the Monte #4 will go back into the rotation as a cigar to enjoy the classic habano taste that keeps us coming back.

Last edited by 1 Leg Lance; 03-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.
1 Leg Lance is offline   Reply With Quote