Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Tobacco Tins shelf life...

I heard that the shelf life of tobacco tins (non-aromatics) like most Virginia tobaccos and their blends, will last 30 years or more in a properly sealed tin.

Those here in the know, is this correct?
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLR View Post
I heard that the shelf life of tobacco tins (non-aromatics) like most Virginia tobaccos and their blends, will last 30 years or more in a properly sealed tin.

Those here in the know, is this correct?

As long as the seal holds up, absolutely. I have some from the early 80's that are fine.

Know a owner/employee of a American Ironhorse or Big Dog dealer? See this post:
This Post!
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
KatDad
Herf God

I sure hope so because, like Todd, I have some 25 year old tobacco that will be opened soon.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Thanks for the info.

When you guys decide to smoke those old tinned tobaccos, I would like to hear about how they smoke.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Ted
Club Member

I have mixed feelings about tobacco tins. In most instances you won't have any problems ... the tobacco will age properly and once opened you'll have a great treat. Also the resale value seems to be the best for sealed tins.

However, there will be occasional instances (and I've had first hand experience), where you'll open a tin that has been carefully stored for 5, 10 or more years only to discover a mass of unsmokable leaf due to mold, pinholes, internal rust, bad seal, etc. Tobacco is quite similar to wine in this respect.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Black Plague
Herf Meister

From the standpoint of the tobacco itself, I wouldn't see why not. Properly stored and cared-for cigars have smoked incredibly with even more age than that.

But like Ted said, what if the seal was bad or something else of a more mechanical nature happened and ruined it?

I've heard of folks sealing up their own pipe tobacco in mason jars...maybe that's the way to go if you want to do it yourself. Store them in a cool, dark place and you have the benefit of the glass and being able to see whether the tobacco inside has gotten moldy or otherwise deteriorated.

If you're looking to BUY a tin that's already that old...well, it's a gamble, SLR.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
alfa

I have a tin of Rollcake that was opened a year ago and tightened down so much I had to use a strap wrench to open it the other night - it was fresh as a daisy.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote