Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2003, 10:43 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Padron 2000 Maduro

Padron 2000 Maduro
5 x50
Filler – Nic, Binder – Nic, Wrapper - Nic

The cigar showed a dark and oily maduro wrapper, but the slightly misshapen and lumpy stick felt dry and papery to the touch. It had a springy roll and looking at the foot revealed a nice mixture of filler tobaccos. Typical to Padrons, the cap was loosely attached, peeled away very easily and slipped under the cutter. The band was simple brown print on glossy paper.

A waft of burned waxed paper and a spicy bite at the first puff, but that was just a quick taste and then the real flavor punched through. Tasted good, with a hint of Virginia pipe tobacco and some green – like spruce. The cigar was full bodied and powerful, but a raw edge gave the impression of a narrow band of flavor. Lots of smoke boiled forth and the aroma was crisp and festive, like an exotic bazaar, spicy and fresh. The finish had a slightly sour note similar to pipe bite, but not too bad. The even and well paced burn was excellent.

Accompanied with a glass of ice water, this Padron lacked the complexity of the 2000s I smoked just a couple of years ago. However, towards the end I did get a more powerful impression of mocha and toasted coffee which made it end on an up note. Easy to smoke with a nice draw and a good feel.

Overall this was a good, well turned out Nicaraguan cigar. Not awesome, but respectable. Not quite as complex as I’d have liked to see, but a very good value for the money. Recommended.

Appearance: 7/10
Construction: 8/10
Flavor: 16/20
Finish: 8/10
Smoking experience: 18/20
Aroma: 9/10
Overall impression: 17/20

Total: 83/100