Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Kohnhed
Starting Member

La Palina Pasha

Size: 7.25 x 50 (Pasha)
Wrapper: Costa Rica
Binder: Costa Rica
Filler: Honduras / Nicaragua
Strength: Medium

As in my review of the Alison, I am not going to go into the incredible history and legacy of the Paley family for their contribution to all levels of media, giving back to the community, and a hundred year history of blending cigars. Unless you're living under a rock, you either know about, or are affected by, this family. Of course, Courtney, my conduit to Mr Paley tells me that if I don't mention the name, Paley, 11 times in the review, my chances of ever being the star in an HBO series is slim and none. Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley, Paley.
I believe I left out a Paley. And the most important one. (old Marx Bros line)

This is both a gorgeous and homely cigar at the same time. The wrapper is a beautiful Costa Rican. Strangeley, lots of long veins.
Oil shimmers on the wrapper in the light. The band is very classy. Very "back in the day." The shaggy foot is big enough to have a family of Pygmies living inside it. Honestly, it looks like a jungle hut.
On pre light, I could smell cinnamon and earth. I clipped this stick and lit it up. Right from the get go, it's there. The flavors of nuts, cream, cinnamon and a strong earthiness...a meaty cigar.

The construction is near perfect. $30 is a lot of dough. But you can taste it. It's in the blend. I've smoked expensive cigars. Very few of them taste like a 4th of July rocket exploding in your head on the first few puffs, like this one does.
I choose to smoke as I review. I get jolts of enthusiasm. The flaw in this review is that since I was so fortunate to have the Paley organization send me one to try, is that I shall never taste this taste again.This is a rich man's/special occasion cigar.

I don't particularly feel like telling you anymore about this cigar because I am really, really enjoying it...but I do have a responsibility to the cigar reviewer's union.
As I enter into the second third, the cigar delights with flavors that can only be described as a bee, gently floating, from one flower to another, carefully extracting the essence of that flower.

There is some comparison to be made with the Alison. As the panoply of flavors dart across the tongue and the taste buds, I can taste some tantalizing baking spices along with a buttery, flaky crust. This cigar has a very long finish.

I'm at the halfway point. The flavors are different now. The cigar required half of it to burn away before the Yellow Brick Road opened up in front of me. This is, clearly, a cigar to be savored. A cigar that requires the time and focus to allow it to show off. I've read lots of reviews and some are dead wrong. They summarize with telling you it's OK. OK? Apparently, anyone can write a cigar review. But not everyone can taste the delicate and nuanced complexities. This cigar had only one minus. I had to light it a couple times while I wrote. No big deal. It did not cause the stick to get harsh or bitter. The flavor profile picked up where it left off.

The last third brings on the butter cream in heavy doses. The nuttiness reminds me of a combination of nuts...cashews, almonds, and hazelnut. The last half has been very sweet. It's as if the first two thirds was the appetizer and the main course. The last third is dessert.

This stick has been medium in strength from the beginning. Near the end, I slow down to a puff every 2 minutes. The strength ramps up to almost full bodied.

I believe I have disclosed the wonderful effect it had on me. It is a special cigar meant to be smoked during a special occasion or on a occasion when you feel you need to treat yourself. I can't imagine what Mr. Paley smokes when he wants to change the line up. If I had access to this cigar as much as I wanted, it would be the only cigar I smoked...in other words, my desert island cigar.
Kohnhed is offline   Reply With Quote