Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
CJ3
Club Member

Indian Tabac Ltd Reserve Toro - $1.75 net per cigar

PROLOGUE

I obtained these cigars as a CI internet special deal. The deal was a bundle of 20 Toros for 29.95 + shipping. CI lists the “regular” price as $49.95. My net cost per cigar was $1.75, well within my target price range of 1.50 to 2.49 each.

The CI Web Site describes these cigars as having an Ecuadorian grown Connecticut-seed wrapper with long fillers aged for 3 years. The text states that they are a “much milder” smoke than Indian Tabac cigars are usually known for. Made in Honduras by Nestor Placencia.

PRE SMOKE APPEARANCE & CONSTRUCTION

The Toros I received were 6.0 x 52 ring gauge. The wrapper was a smooth, clean looking tan with very little veining, although I did notice a small blue/green “blotch.” The cigar had a very light, barely discernable “tobacco” aroma before lighting.

I was impressed with the appearance of the packaging. Each individual cigar has a cedar wrap covering ¾ of the length, with a gold band at the foot. The cigar band is positioned just above the cedar wrap and bears a mirror image of a classic cigar Indian in full headdress. Each cigar is also wrapped in cellophane.

Score: 2.5

SMOKE - BURN and DRAW

The pre-light draw was just perfect for my tastes as I like a somewhat “easier” draw than many others seem to prefer. I lit the cigar with a butane lighter, being careful to obtain a full initial light on the entire foot. The cigar burned relatively evenly throughout, with what I can best describe as a “serrated” edge. At no time did I need a “re-light” or a “touch up” to keep the cigar burning smoothly.

The initial ash built to over a solid inch of compact, black and dark gray ash before I tapped it off, revealing a noticeably cone-shaped, glowing red coal. The cigar continued to burn with a cone shaped coal, although the ash subsequently became more “flakey.”

Score: 3

SMOKE – FLAVOR and TASTE

I smoked this cigar out of doors, in a light breeze, accompanied by a cup of cappuccino. The flavor was pretty one-dimensional and fairly bland, although I did enjoy the full, white, smoke from what I would refer to as an effortlessly “puff-able” cigar! About halfway through it began to develop a bit more strength, if not more flavor. At this point I removed the band. With about 2” left to go, the cigar began to smoke a “little hot” and I finished the cigar with about a 1” nub.

Score: 1.5

SUMMARY COMMENTS

The Indian Tabac Ltd Reserve certainly lives up to it’s billing as a mild cigar. Unfortunately, in this case, mild means without much body or flavor. I was a little disappointed as I seem to recall the Indian Tabac Ltd’s as having a bit more character. For the more experienced cigar smoker who prefers a full strength cigar, the draw, decent burn, and multi-layered packaging might make it a good decoy for the drunken relative or brother-in-law at the family cookout!

I did enjoy the mild smoke somewhat as a counterpoint to the strong taste of the coffee. Perhaps a lighter accompanying drink would be a better combination and allow the cigar to show more flavor. Being an admirer of milder cigars, I might consider picking up another bundle at this price point in the future, either for the un-initiated guest, or as the classic “lawn-mowing” cigar. Apparently I am not alone in this opinion, as the item was listed as “sold out” on the CI website!

All in all though, I’m afraid that I must carry on in my search for the best cigar that $2 can buy!

Overall Score: 2.3 (out of 5 possible)
CJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote