Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Navarre Robusto (France)

Navarre Robusto (France)
Posted by E.Z. in Cigar Reviews (Photos)

So after my little tour of the Navarre cigar factory in the tiny town of Navarrenx, I proceeded across the street to purchase a few of the jewels that had tantalized my imagination at the factory. It turns out that French law prohibits the sale or distribution of tobacco products except at local tobacconist shops... go figure, a cigar manufacturer isn't allowed to sell his own product, like a winery would. That said, France has never had a tobacco manufacturer before, so that is bound to change.

The excellent looking stick came in a truly French package—a very elegant cardboard box that made me feel like I was about to smoke a chocolate truffle. My feeling at this point is that it can't get any more French than that.

The cigar itself has a very interesting golden brown color. The wrapper is impeccable, as I would expect it to be, and the aroma is mildly buttery at this point with some cinnamon and nutmeg hints. I clipped the triple cap on the cigar and proceeded to give it a pre-light draw. I got an initial note of hay that moved more and more toward dried red chilly peppers—sort of like crushed pepper flakes, but without the piquant effect... a nice start.

On the light, the foot releases a slightly earthy aroma. The smoke is grassy with defining notes of red bell peppers. There is a good body to it as well. It gave the impression of strength, and I was reassured that I wasn't smoking a slacker. When solicited frequently, the stick is able to deliver black pepper and spicy notes too. The complexity of the cigar so far made a good impression.

At around the half way mark, the cigar takes on a darker, grilled, profile. I was pleased with the roasted notes and the graphite undertone. Increasing notes of grilled bell pepper hint slightly at the classic Ramon Allones Specially Selected. Toward the end I got a dose of coffee and sweet wood, which contributed to the smooth woody finish.

I can only speculate about how the cigar will do with aging. But seeing that it is a complex cigar with many nuances, I can only guess it will be great in six months to a year. Beyond that, we'll have to wait and see… hats off the Navarre so far!!
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote