Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
csaclint
Club Member

Tom Waits

I've tried to like this guy, but I just can't. After watching way to many live performances of him tonight, i'm left with the opinion that he is more of a vocal performer, than a singer. I won't get into whether or not he is a great lyricist or not (this seems to be the argument that his fans turn to quite often), as i just can't get past how much he seems to be forcing the effects from his vocal chords. I personally tend to lean towards singers who just let it hang out. Those that just let the sounds escape from their lungs and rattle their vocal chords along the way. Tom Waits seems to me to be holding his vocal chords in check, almost to the point of busting a hernia on stage at any moment. I don't mind someone with a less than perfect voice, or someone with enough gravel in their throat to fill a dump truck, just so long as that gravel is natural, and not the result of a voice that is being clamped down on for dramatic effect. But what the hell do i know, he's sold more records than i have...