Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

An Internet Pipe Vendor to Avoid!

I recently bought a Comoy "Blue Riband" from www.finepipes.com

I had been told by some folks that the owner, Samuel Goldbereger, was not on the up and up. And I found out for myself that this is unfortunately true.

The pipe, which was no bargain at $325, was advertised as a unique piece, etc., etc. I mailed a MO by USPS Priority Mail that arrived at his address on November 12. He finally mailed the pipe out on November 20, and it arrived at my house on November 23rd. I paid $13 for postage ... it arrived, uninsured, in one of those free USPS boxes.

All of this is mildly annoying. THE REAL PROBLEM - When I loaded up the pipe I noticed burn out on the back of the pipe where the shank and bowl meet. I also discovered a tooth indentation which is basically through the bottom of the stem. There are other problems with the pipe which would not be a big deal if it had not been advertised as unique, one-of-a-kind, etc.

I e-mailed Mr. Goldberger informing him I would be returning it, and he e-mailed back stating that, as I had smoked the pie, he would have to inspect it, etc. I "smoked" it for, literally, less than a minute, then knocked out the tobacco when I discovered the burn-out spot on the back of the bowl. His policy clearly states that an item can be returned within 3 days for any reason.

Here's what I have learned - once again - Do not deal with any vendor who does not take credit cards, as you then have some recourse if they turn out to be crooks.

Do not deal with this guy - he clearly knew of these defects, and failed to disclose them.

I am now stuck with a very expensive yard pipe ...