Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
capper
Herf Meister

Steak, it's whats for dinner

Colder than a witches tit outside but will be firing up the grill for steak this evening. I love the prime Black Angus thick-cut rib eyes we get every once in a while from Sam's. I asked my wife if she could pick up the whole loin so I could cut my own but they were out of stock. Still, I won't complain.

Medium rare, butter, Montreal seasoning....

What you guys having?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Oh, my god, those steaks they sell there are so far beyond awesome it's scary. Here, they run about $8 a pound, whereas walmart sells their strips for over $12 a pound!!!
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
capper
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
Oh, my god, those steaks they sell there are so far beyond awesome it's scary. Here, they run about $8 a pound, whereas walmart sells their strips for over $12 a pound!!!

Yep, 8 bucks a pound. A deal that we can't pass up. I say we but I seldom get to Joplin being a hermit and all.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

If you EVER make it to joplin, let's meet for a beer.

The other day I was there,and looked at the clearance meat, and they had a package of strips down to $6. Two steaks, 3 pound package. At least 2 inches thick. Jeeze, I almost couldn't stand it. We didn't have the time to avail ourselves of it.

One day I went in there, and they had a big stack of flank steaks for about $2.50 a pound. I bought maybe 15 or more pounds. gave half of them to family, and had steak for 3 days. God, I love a medium rare flank steak.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
capper
Herf Meister

Will do.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Costco has better meat. Super thick cut sirloin steaks for $4.29... eye of round roasts for 3.79... whole rib-eye primals for $7.99...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I personally like eye of round, lean and steak like, but my wife finds it to be too chewy. She likes overcooked chuck pot roast.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
capper
Herf Meister

Well it was too windy to grill so it'll be tonight, much nicer weather.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
KatDad
Herf God

We buy the eye of round roasts at Costco and slice them into small steaks about the size of a nice filet. While they're not as tender as finer cuts, they aren't bad and are good lean beef at a great price.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

I'll smoke the eye of round up to 140 internal temp, then rest it. Slice thin with the meat slicer for roast beef sandwiches or "french dips"....
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote