Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
moki
Club Member

Montecristo Platinum Mini Belicoso review

picture: http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew...num_mini_b.jpg

I picked up a box of Montecristo Platinum Mini Belicoso's while in Puerto Rico. They are made in the Dominican Republic, and come in a pretty cool box that has scenes from Havana painted on it. The box also doubles as a humidor, since it is quite sturdy, cedar-lined, and is fairly air-tight.

I enjoy a nice thick cigar, and I thought these would be great to have when I wanted a smoke, but not a terribly long one. The construction of the cigars is quite good, and I really wanted to like them, but alas they are not worth the expense in my opinion.

If they cost about $4-5 a cigar, I'd consider it money well spent -- the cigars are tasty, quite smokable, rather mild in character, and they have a nice fruity scent/taste to the tobacco. They burn very evenly, with a nice ash that hangs around quite long. Alas, they are not $4 a cigar, they are significantly more expensive at about $9 a cigar if you buy the box of 14.

It seems like Montecristo is using premium packaging, and a premium price, for a cigar that while enjoyable, is not a premium cigar. If someone gives you one of these cigars, you will absolutely enjoy smoking it. If you purchase a box of them at retail price, though, I'm afraid the price tag sets a standard that they don't quite reach.

I enjoyed smoking these cigars, and I still have a few in my humidor. The most damning thing in my judgment is that I don't really have any desire to pull one out and smoke it. They are quite pleasant, but just rather forgettable, which is not what you'd expect for the money.

On a positive note, they seem to be developing a bit of bloom already, which is nice to see. Perhaps if I age them a bit longer, it'll bring out some more interesting character.
moki is offline   Reply With Quote