Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2003, 04:46 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

JazzFest/John Mayer Report

Made it over to NOLA for my yearly pilgrimage to JazzFest. This year's trip was short......but HAD to make it over to soak up the music and the atmosphere....even if it was just for the day.
We got kind of a late start and didn't get there until 1:00 or so.......first things first.....had to grab a Softshell crawfish Po-Boy.
Then we made a quick tour of various stages.....caught some Cajun music, stopped off at the Gospel tent...they were rocking as usual. Then on to my favorite, the Blues tent, and caught Bryan Lee. Lee is a top notch Blues guitarist with a tight band. If you get the chance, next time you're in the NOLA area give him a listen.(he used to play at the Absinthe House in the quarter until they turned it into a Daqueri bar!! )
After Lee's set we wandered over to one of the "large" stages and and caught the act my wife was DYING to see.......John Mayer. My wife LOVES Mayer, and we've been trying to catch his show for a while now....but something always seemed to come up. Anyway.......I was pleasantly surprised with his set......his band was very tight, and was really impressed with his drummer. As for Mayer himself, I enjoyed his guitar work and his music in general. You can hear the Blues influence with his guitar licks.....and he does play with a great deal of passion. For some reason I still just can't seem to get into his music......a bit "bland". Overall he put on a good show......and my wife (along with the other multitude of females) really enjoyed the show.