Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Benriach & Glenlivet editions

This week, I gave the following two single malts an initial taste test, and came away quite impressed...

Benriach Madeira Wood Finish 15 Year Old – 46%

This spirit spends its final period of maturation in Madeira casks sourced from Henriques & Henriques. Not chill-filtered, and with no artificial colouring. Fairly pale lemon-yellow gold hue. A high-toned fragrance with notions of spring blossoms, honeydew melon, sweet oak and acetone. On the palate, a sparkling interplay of sun-ripened citrus, sweet malt and crisp oak that, though lightly textured and silky, offers up just the right degree of simmering white pepper warmth. Dries at the finish in the manner of a fine Cragganmore, with notions of stone-grist barley, lemon zest, leather and even the faint saltiness of a young Brie cheese making guest appearances. A subtle and initially somewhat deceptive malt that rewards subsequent pours. Lovely apéritif whisky.

Glenlivet 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve – 40%

The utilization of Limousin oak casks introduces additional layers of aroma and taste to the Glenlivet flavour profile. Full shimmering gold colour. Rounded and quite sensual on the nose. Yellow Delicious apples and a few peaches macerating with a spoonful of honey. Lightly toasted oak provides the backdrop. A soft shoe palate entry if ever there was one. Delicate floral and herbal overtones with notions of apples and honey. Then the fun begins! Limousin oak brings on an enlivening cascade of spices, only to have the whisky exert a textural smoothness to calm the proceedings as the finish line approaches. 15-plus years and a touch of the continental forest serve the intrinsic characteristics of the distillate admirably. Finely gauged balancing of the elements. The perfect match for a Por Larrañaga Cuban cigar.

Now it's on to that 16-year old Aberlour.