Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #3
hawkan2580
Club Member

Re: Can I Get A Lesson on MIDI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman
Some time back, I picked up my guitar and started playing again. Man, things have changed. All this new fangled techno stuff. Back in my day you just plugged into an amp and off you went. Now? Jeez.

Anyway, I've been looking at some computer software, for notation. One that I'm looking at will let you enter notes through the program fret board, or by playing a MIDI device.

My question is: What do I need in the way of hardware, to be able to play my hollowbody electric into this program? Am I looking at big bucks or little bucks?
If you are wanting to convert your non-midi guitar to send midi accurately... you are looking at some big bux.... the problem with the cheaper conversion kits is that they don't transpond pitchbends or glissandos nor vibrato very well when you play.... of course, that can be fixed later (we fix it in the mix approach) in the computer.. but when you play a solo and bend a d to an e... that bend in midi terms is sliced into numbers and into time....it should reflect the hertz increasement over how long it took you to bend the string.. problem with the cheap conversion kits is that they are not sensitive/accurate enough to transpond this well... it will have glitches that you will be able to hear..

My suggestion if you want to go midi with a guitar.. buy one built for it.... they are not that expensive if you are not looking at one that has to sound good through an amp too... the real cost is when you want both worlds in one quitar.. good pickup for sound and for midi..

Let me know if you need help... I am not a guitarist myself but worked pro as a studio musicion for 10 years and been in contact with these things a fair bit.. keyboard player myself so I am quite familiar with the world of sys ex midi