Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
TampaPSD4

Flor de Oliva, Corojo Review

Flor de Oliva, Corojo
Bundled Nicaraguan
Reviewed: 1/28/2006
Size: Robusto, 5 inches x 50 ring gauge

Most people know that I typically smoke Habanos, but once in while I try to keep my objectivity updated and smoke Non-Cuban cigars as well. “The Saint” had sent a few different Oliva cigars to me for my opinion. I had recently mentioned that as far as Non-Cuban cigars go; that in my opinion, that Oliva was probably the most under rated Non-Cuban cigar Brand on the market today. Today’s example maintained that opinion.

The construction was excellent. The Robusto was well rolled and had an flawless corojo wrapper. The cigar clipped well and upon a per-draw, I tasted a sweetness that was initially different from my usual cigars that I enjoy. Upon lighting the cigar, I noticed that there was no evidence of the sweetness, and my first impression was it was going to be a mild cigar. The flavors built quickly with green pepper tones along with a medium earthiness. Midway through the cigar, it returned to a milder flavor, almost becoming bland on my palate, but this did not last very long. The flavors were definitely Nicaraguan in their boldness and richness, which came much more pronounced during the last third of the cigar. The Robusto burned well, never needing any touch up and the white ash was strong and held on in between taps a good 1-1.5 inches. I would describe the overall profile as a medium full bodied with a smoothness that lasted throughout. The flavors built in richness toward the end and finished with a bold and spicy richness. This cigar normally retails for around $2 a stick, and I can tell everyone that I have smoked far more expensive cigars that came no where near the enjoyment of this little jewel. This cigar deserves a serious look by those that are searching for an inexpensive, yet tasty cigar. I would have no problem recommending this cigar to someone.
(_{@}___}}}~~~
TampaPSD4 is offline   Reply With Quote