Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
jpweston

Carlos Torano Signature Collection Robusto

Carlos Torano Signature Collection Robusto [5.0 x 52]
Wrapper: Sungrown Brazilian (Maduro)
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: DR/NIC

PRE-SMOKE (20 Total)
Appearance and Construction: 5
Burn: 5
Draw: 3
Aroma: 4

This is a nice looking robusto with a really dark maduro wrapper. In my book, it's bordering on oscuro. Paired with the small cedar wrap and the white bands, it really provides a stark contrast. Removing the cello, which by the way seemed a size too small for the cigar, I see that the wrapper has only one prominent vein and a glorious oily sheen. The roll looks tight at the foot and overall this stick has a well constructed feel to it - no soft spots and pretty firm to the touch. Initial aromas are just a bit barnyardish with hints of rich tobacco. I'm thinking that this is going to be a medium-full to full smoke with more great contrast in the form of thick white smoke. Anticipation....

The cap snips cleanly and reveals a consistently tight roll. Initial draw is a tad loose, bringing with it sweet rich tobacco flavors. Looking at the roll, I'm kind of surpised at the looseness of the draw. Hopefully this won't smoke hot.

SMOKE (20 Total)
Flavor: 5
Taste/Aftertaste: 4

The foot lit well with the exception of a couple of "dead" spots, which needed a little extra attention. Once lit, the burn was razor sharp and remained that way the entire time. Initial puffs brought copious amounts of smoke as I had hoped, but the rich flavors I had anticipated were conspicuously absent. The sweet tobacco flavor I had picked up in the pre-light draw was present, but nothing deeper. Most of the flavor hit the back and sides of my palate, giving a sort of hollow experience. Something seemed to be missing. The finish was very short with no lingering after taste to speak of.

Construction was a definite high point here. The ash was firm with a grey-salt/pepper color and minimal flaking. When it dropped, the burn was perfectly flat - no cone, no tunnel. Very nice.

The flavor just never picked up or developed. By no means was this an unpleasant or "bad" smoke, just unremarkable. As I had expected, the loose draw did lend the cigar to smoking a bit hot, so I had to ease up on my puffs to keep the temperature down.

SUMMARY (10 Total)
Overall Quality: 7

This experience just reminded me that you really can't judge anything based on appearances alone. This cigar looked amazing and I had expectations of a rich flavorful smoke based on that alone. In the end, it was tasty, just not what I had expected. Again, the construction was excellent, the flavor just fell a bit short. I'm wondering if maybe the DR/NIC blend was just a bit too heavy on the NIC...

TOTAL SCORE: 33 (Above Average / 3.5 stars)

j.