Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 03-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

making stock/broth

Ok , for the last several months we have been making stock...

every week I buy a whole chicken or turkey breast cook it for the girlfriends lunches for the week ( get 2 weeks from a chicken , 3 weeks from turkey breast , whole turkey might double that).

This week is vegetable broth since still have a supply of chicken for the week ..

my typical ingredients depending on what we have left over is...

Carrots, celery , onion , shallots , parsley and or thyme , peppercorns , bay leaves ,green pepper ... this week I added leeks... if its a chicken/ turkey week then the remnants of that too...

I haven't yet tried roasting the carcasses (sp?)... I did the veg's a little this weekend...

then I dump a bunch of water over it all and bring the whole mess to a boil then turn down to simmer , let it go 3-5 hours depending what I am doing , I have read that very diminishing returns after about 2 hours...

edit... i should add , then we freeze it in 2 cup portions , need to find better containers than ziplocks too...

always looking for new/better ideas...

thoughts...

Dan

Last edited by N8DCJ; 03-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.
N8DCJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

That's how my wife cooks a chicken. Five hours in a crock pot. Ruins all of the food, but the stock is always pretty good.

Roasting the things, especially the carrots and carcass, for example, would liven it up.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
That's how my wife cooks a chicken. Five hours in a crock pot. Ruins all of the food, but the stock is always pretty good.

Roasting the things, especially the carrots and carcass, for example, would liven it up.
Brian

The 5 hour thing made me laugh out loud... sorry man , but , you have good stock anyway...

Dan
N8DCJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post

That's just plain awful. I think that I'd find a way to"accidentally" kill the Crock-Pot.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

slice in some ginger (fresh) to your veggie broth, maybe add some miso or dashi (it won't be veggie if you add dashi but it will be delicious)

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I will attest that this is true. I often fortify my stock with cream of chicken and cream of onion condensed soups to make a soup or dumpling dish. Lots of onion, celery and bell pepper and garlic too.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Fresh thyme is absolute too.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I understand where you are coming from, but there are times when I don't want thyme or other herbal elements... just the clean stock flavor. But that is me and I am strange and all that. I also don't usually add any salt, I figure I can add that when I cook.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm boiling a ham bone for a batch of white beans. I put thyme in the dish, but late in the cooking.

I don't know about you, but behind salt and pepper, thyme is the most versatile spice in the cabinet.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I will attest that this is true. I often fortify my stock with cream of chicken and cream of onion condensed soups to make a soup or dumpling dish. Lots of onion, celery and bell pepper and garlic too.
Oh hell yeah, I love chicken and dumplings.

Here is the recipe I use most of the time. So easy and tasty.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...7-babcac700ca7

Last edited by SLR; 03-09-2018 at 05:01 PM.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote