Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

IPCPR Cigar: Mardi Gras

I've been putting off trying this cigar, it is one of the "Unknowns" from the show that I picked up and had NO idea of what to expect. I picked it up at one of the smaller booths.....no legion of reps in sharp suits, no slick displays although they did have a bit of eye candy there handing out the single bagged samples.
Appropriately named cigar to have in the Crescent City, this was a Robusto sized vitola provided with the following info:
Wrapper: 3 yr aged Corojo Dominican
Binder: Piloto Cubano Dominican
Filler: Criollo 98 Ligero, San Vicente Ligero Dominican

This cigar has a nice solid feel to it, the wrapper looks appealing with no large veins, uniform cap, the band is rather attractive. the foot produces a pleasant scent of earthiness.
After clipping with a v-cutter I light up and greeted with a delightful balanced flavor of almonds, coffee, and cocoa with a little spice in the background for good measure.
So far, this smoke is a nice surprise. the burn is even with a great draw, producing a generous volume of smoke. The smoke itself is quite chewy and coats my palette with that combination of almonds and cocoa which was detected when first lit. I would consider this a medium strength, medium bodied cigar. Though I do prefer a spicy cigar, this taste profile is a nice change of pace for me. I wouldn't say it is overly complex, but it seems to have enough body and flavor to hold my interest. The burn, flavor & strength profile remains pretty constant throughout.
In the end, this turned out to be a very enjoyable smoke.....not great, but very nice. I would definitely try more of these, especially as a change of pace from my usual diet of spice........I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.