Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
Herfules
Club Member

My first review:

The Perdomo2 Rhombus Maduro is a beautiful jet-black box-pressed cigar accented by a bright yellow and gold band, which only helps to bring out the deepness of the wrapper.

Pre-light: Georgeous in appearance, the rich, oily, darkness was consistent along the entire length. The box-press was perfect, leaving the cigar with a slight roundness on all four sides, softening the box=pressed look. The smell was of pepper, spice, and pleasant mustiness (earthiness?). On preparing the light, I could feel some pepper on the lips and tongue.

Light and smoke: 1st indication was pepper, then a rich, mild sweetness. There was almost a thickness to the smoke- it felt substantial to smoke. The smoke was rich with a good balance of sweet and spice. Occassionally, a complex punch would hit you,followed by a very mild tang, followed by a rich, smooth coffee flavor (not sweet coffee like ERDM or Padron, but more like lightly creamed coffee with no sweetner). I exhale my smokes nasally (is that a wrod?) and this one was pleasant. No watering eyes or burning at all.

The draw was good. Not too loose but not too firm. Occassionally, you would have to take 2 puffs to get a mouthful of smoke, but it was never a chore.

The burn was lopsided at first and I had to correct this smoke twice. I can't say that's a fault of the cigar though as I tend to smoke them without much rest.

This cigar settled in about 2 inches and the smoke lightened. The aftertaste was a dry sweetness with almost an effervescent feel to it (does that make sense to anyone else?). Again, you would occassionally get hit with a complex sweetness, then richness, then light dryness.

If consistency means a cigar that tastes the same from beginning to end, then this one was not consistent. However, in this case, the inconsistency is a good thing. I could imagine someone smoking this cigar, caught up in a conversation, and being drawn back to the cigar as the flavors changes to surprise you. A cigar that can keep your attention!

The ash held until it was about 2.5 inches long and came off whole and intact.

I wanted to like this cigar, very, very much! Read on...

However, I removed the label as the cigar burned and noticed what appeared to be brown stains on the inside of the wrapper. No, I thought... surely not. I wet the end of the cigar and wiped it on a piece of paper- sure enough, it left brown. I mentioned it to my wife. She nodded her head and said, "Look in the mirror at your lips." Yep, a noticeable brown line around my lips.

I recently read where some cigar makers will cheat and "dye" their cigars or use some kind of maduro-matic machine to get "consistent "maduro-color."

While this cigar tasted fine, I will not by a maduro that was short-cutted somehow (and leaves shite-stains on my lips). There are too many other good cigars out there. I will take the remaining 2 back to the cigar shop and replace them with something I would rather have.

Peace,
NDinNC

"I don't want Fop dammit. I want Dapper Dan. I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

Edited by - NDinNC on 03/21/2002 6:09:48 PM