Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #1
decasere
Club Member

I borrowed this from Yarnspinner over at the knox cigar BB, i looks like a good form to use.

I know that when I started smoking higher end tobaccos, I wanted to write reviews to let other people know about these great tobaccos. On rare occasions, I've come across tobaccos for which I wanted to write reviews to WARN my fellow pipesmokers about! But writing a review can be daunting for someone who has never done it before or is relatively new to pipe smoking. A common question that has been posed to me is: "How do you write a review?" I hope the following helps.

When I started writing tobacco reviews (not very long ago), I had absolutely no idea what the structure of a review should be. I still don't think that there is a "right" way or a "wrong" way to write a review--there is only the way that works best for the reviewer and anyone who smokes a pipe can write a pipe tobacco review. Over the past several weeks I've read over my better reviews and have developed an outline to help me in the review writing process. Below is my outline--feel free to use it or to modify it to suit your own style. I hope this helps.

Yarnspinner's Review Outline:

--Blend Name--

--Tin/Website description--

--Description of tobacco appearance, aroma, moisture level, texture. Comments.--

Proceedural--Packing, pipe, lighting, impressions of initial light. Relight impressions.--

--Smoke impressions and comments. Include room note and potential effects on others.--

--Overall impressions and comments. Rating:
5 (Superior)
4.75 (Exceptional)
4.5 (Excellent)
4.25 (Very Good)
4.0 (Good)
3.75 (Satisfying)
3.5 (Above Average)
3.25 (Slightly Above Average)
3.0 (Average)
2.75 (Slightly Below Average)
2.5 (Below Average)
2.25 (Unappealing)
2.0 (Slightly Offensive)
1.5 (Offensive)
1.0 (Revolting)
0 (Disgusting)--

--------------------
Yarnie

"My boy! Smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life, and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."
-- Sigmund Freud - to his young nephew, Harry, after he declined a cigar