Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Evil, errrrrrrrrr, Mad Genius White and Black Chapel Robustos

Earlier this year, the Gurkha Cigar Company decided that a cigar named Evil Genius was infringing on their trademark of the Gurgha Evil vitola and issued a cease and desist order against Evil Genius cigars; heretofore they will be known as Mad Genius. To me this is a petty move, especially when cigar brands should be banding together to fight against the overreaching rulings by the FDA.

Evil Genius White Chapel Robusto

The wrapper smells like a leatherwork shop the foot has nuances of mild to medium tobacco. The bunch is medium and the wrapper is very smooth with a slightly oily touch.
A clean clip yields a fairly easy draw with the same notes as the foot. I loved the TPC version of this; let's see how Robusto does.

Initial draw is much fuller than the unlit aromas would indicate. A really good pepper note to go with the leather tobacco notes. Not a mild smoke at all.

Large plumes of smoke with what would be a very pleasant room note indoors, it's every bit as good as the minuto I have had of this blend.
On a side note, the Evil Genius guys are very genuine and friendly, and remembered us from last year in New Orleans, and they basically asked me what samples I wanted. Awesome guys.

The cigar canoed a bit, so one quick touch up and it's all good. The pepper is gone leaving a very pleasant leather and tobacco flavor.
The medium to light grey ash is firm with no flakes, and since the touch up the burn is very straight.

This is a solid medium-to full body and flavor cigar that is really a nice complex smoke. The pepper flavor comes and goes, making things just that more interesting. It also pairs almost perfectly with the IPA.
1/3 through it is still burning evenly and ash remains solid. There are some very light fruity notes in the background.
Recalling the Time Machine cigar from last year (which I liked a lot) this blend is more complex. They also gave me some Black Chapel Robustos that I will review later.

The cigar started to canoe a bit again at 2/3, but another correction set it straight again. The slight fruitiness may be apricot; somewhat mysterious but very good.

A quick note about the beer; Real Ale's Three Lions is exceptional. Even at 8% ABV it is not overwhelming and pairs very nicely with a medium cigar.

Put the cigar down at about one inch only because it got too hot to hold, which is typical of all cigars in my experience. Wonderful flavors and a very nice complexity earn this one 8.75/10 even with two touch ups. Joe Bob says check it out.

Evil Genius Black Chapel Robusto

Aromatic wrapper and foot, clean clip, firm bunch, easy light. Lots of smoke with flavors of light tobacco and unpasteurized honey. Pepper kicks into the retrohale at about one inch. Even burn and very white ash.

At 1/3 flavor notes are tobacco and coffee with a tiny bit of honey in the finish. Burn continues to be straight although the smoke is heating up a bit. A couple of quick purges fix this.
The v-cut is popular right now, so I have given it a try on my last few cigars; I think I'll go back to the guillotine cut. The cap peels too much with the v-cut.

At about half the smoke has settled into a nice medium body. Good flavors with no harshness. One minor burn flaw corrected itself very quickly. Excellent construction on the cigar.
At 2/3 the finish is now mostly peppery, but not unpleasant. Interestingly, the very light honey notes have returned to the smoke.

Put it down at one inch to avoid finger burn. This is a very pleasant cigar with excellent construction that smokes nice and slow with good complexity, it earns 8.75/10. Joe Bob says check it out.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote