Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
kevie49

Cigar boxes and humidifier packs

Hi folks,
I'm in need of a bit of advice here and I turn to those with superior knowledge and more expertise than me.

I have a friend who enjoys an occasional cigar and his birthday is coming up, I know he likes the Regius brand so I was thinking about getting him the 4 cigar sampler, which comes in a nice wooden presentation box.

The main problem is that I don't think he has a humidor and the last thing that I want is for him to enjoy one of these and then the rest be a dried up twig by the time he goes back for another. Is it possible to use a humidifier pack like this one in the cigar box to act as a temporary humidor?

Thanks in advance,
Kevie
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Yes. But he'll need many, as there is probably no seal at all on the presentation box.
Many cigar manufacturer are including the bovida packs in their boxes and tins!

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Emmo
Club Member

A small tupperware container with a small humidification packet will work just fine.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Here you go.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
kevie49

Thanks for all the replies folks. I didn't know what the quality of the boxes were like as I've never bought anything other than packs or individual and to be honest I didn't even think about the quality of their seals.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Kevie
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 AM   #6
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

My all time favorite TV show is Cheers. At the very end of the final episode Sam brings in a brown paper bag, and pulls out a box of Cuban cigars that had apparently never been opened. There was no indication as to how these were stored, but one certainly gets the impression that they were probably sitting in a closet for the past two decades.

The seal is broken and the cigars are smoked, with everyone enjoying the fine Cubans. Of course, as a cigar smoker, I just look on with disgust, knowing full well that those cigars would be total trash.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
My all time favorite TV show is Cheers. At the very end of the final episode Sam brings in a brown paper bag, and pulls out a box of Cuban cigars that had apparently never been opened. There was no indication as to how these were stored, but one certainly gets the impression that they were probably sitting in a closet for the past two decades.

The seal is broken and the cigars are smoked, with everyone enjoying the fine Cubans. Of course, as a cigar smoker, I just look on with disgust, knowing full well that those cigars would be total trash.
kind of working off your own notions. I take boxes to herfs with me in grocery bags. I'm not going to roll a humidor in with me.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmo View Post
A small tupperware container with a small humidification packet will work just fine.
a ziplock bag with the box and humi pak in it will work. Remember the very tight seal can prevent air circulation, so opening the bag every couple of days is a good idea.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
kind of working off your own notions. I take boxes to herfs with me in grocery bags. I'm not going to roll a humidor in with me.
Not really. Sam was not a regular cigar smoker. I think he was seen with 2-3 cigars during the entire 11 seasons. It was something he occasionally/rarely did. He said that he had been saving the box of cigars for many years, so it's not like he just bought it. And they were Cubans, so he couldn't have just bought them even if he wanted to. What you are suggesting is that Sam, who rarely smokes cigars, maintained a "humidor" for many years all to store this one box of Cubans. Yeah. That makes sense.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
Loyoyo
Club Member

Although Sam was only a casual cigar smoker, he kept a few boxes in a locker at L.J. Peretti Tobacconist. He rented the locker after his teammate, Luis Tiant gave him a box of Cubans in appreciation of Sam posting a save in El Tiante's 20th win of the '73 season.

Peretti's was located a short walk across Boston Common from Cheers, and although they never showed it in the series, Sam would occasionally grab a cigar from his locker and enjoy it as he walked to the bar.

(Feel better now, Rob?)
Loyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote