Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
bipolar
Club Member

New Cupido Revolucion

Smoked one of these yesterday, decided I'd try my hand at reviewing it.

Appearance: The Cupido Revolucion is a box pressed 5 X 50 beauty with a hearty looking criollo wrapper. It is spongy to the touch, but not too spongy. Nice feeling. The wrapper retains a thickness to it. Not too many veins, but no sheen either. I punched the cap with no problems. Very sturdy cigar.

Pre-light draw and aroma: Great pre-light draw, and great aroma. Smells sweet, tangy and earthy all the same. Now, I'm beginning to experience the creole as the name denotes... Full of subtle hints of aged spices..
Lights perfectly from my trusty Mini Bic. Ash is a stark white against the dark auburn/brown of the wrapper.

1/3 of the way through: Wonderful smoke, hands down. Slightly bitter at times, though just on the tip of my tounge. Still sweet and tangy as ever and more medium-bodied than anything else. Needs touch up from the lighter, but I was in the car, and it might have helped to dry box this one. Huge volumes of smoke!!!

2/3 of the way through: Retaining some sweetness, though noticably increasing in strength of bitterness and tangyness. Still, in another dimension, almost a smooth quality to the bitterness. No floral notes, but heavy leather-esque and peatlike qualities slowly emerge. Ash is doing great... Holding nicely and still a dull white. Huge volumes of smoke!!!

Final third: This was where my girlfriend stated," what are you smoking??" She then went on to inform me that this smelled better than my usual smokes...and we were in a car. Somehow, the smoothness of this smoke is retained down to the nub. But it is a hearty, tangy leathery smoothness...if that makes any sense. Still not overpoweringly strong, or peppery. HUGE volumes of smoke!!!

Thoughts: THis one continues, for me, to be hard to put my finger on. The flavor of this cigar is so elusive at times, that it seems almost entirely foreign to describe. BUT it is there! And it is in abundance. I think that this is the most criollo-esque criollo I have ever smoked. I thouroughly enjoyed this cigar and will pat myself on the back for picking up a box of these bad boys. Definately one to try at least once. Beautiful lesson in the differences of particular strains of tobacco and the heritage behind the criollo wrapper.