Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Viaje Torpedo

Viaje Torpede
Ring Gauge: 52
Length: 6
Body: Medium
Filler: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo
Binder: Nicaragua
Shape: Torpedo

1=TERRIBLE 2=SUBPAR 3=AVERAGE 4=GREAT 5=AMAZING
Appearance: 3
Taste: 2
Draw: 1
Ash: 4
Smoke: 3
Overall Experience: 2
TOTAL SCORE: 15 (of 30)

This is a Nicaraguan Puro with a Nicaraguan Criollo wrapper rolled in the same factories as Joya de Nicaragua. (Viaje Cigars)

The prelight draw on this is great, hinting at good construction. The wrapper looks a bit rough, but many maduros have that strong texture to them. The pre light draw has pleasing leathery flavors with just a touch of salt.

1st Third: As soon as I lit up the cigar the draw became REALLY tight. I even clipped more of the cap, but it didn’t help much. I’ve been fighting the cigar the entire time since. The taste isn’t bad – leathery. But having to draw so hard and so often has made it a bit tannic.

2nd Third: Still a bit one-dimensional. The flavor profile has stayed the same, without much complexity added at all.

3rd Third: By this point the cigar had gone beyond boring into bad. It became very bitter and difficult to keep lit. The leathery flavors from the beginning were gone, and the entire cigar tasted strongly of ash. Even repeated purgings didn’t help.

Conclusion: Not really a great cigar, no matter what the price. There are a lot of great cigars that skirt the medium/maduro line that still do a great job of blending flavors. Most Nicaraguan puros I’ve tasted have been pretty one-dimensional, but at least JdN is usually consistent despite that. I was very disappointed with this cigar.