Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I'm not the executive chef, but here it is anyway.

One of the favorites around here. Pantry soup.

Half head of cabbage, carrots, celery, an onion.

Chop carrots, celery, and onion into pea-sized pieces. Toss carrots into 3 tablespoons of oil in stock pot on medium-high heat, and chop celery. Toss in celery, and chop onion. Toss in onion, and cut cabbage into fine inch long slivers. Toss in cabbage, garlic if so inclined, and search pantry and fridge.

Cut up whatever meat you have into pea sized bits, whether it's last night's pork chops, leftover chicken, fresh round steak, whatever you have. The best meat for it, IMO, is about a pound of fresh pork loin. brown in a separate pan, add to stock pot. When cabbage is translucent and all other vegetables look good, sift about 3 tablespoons of flour to pot, stir. The flour is going to stick to the bottom, don't let it burn. give it about 4-5 minutes, slowly add a can of vegetable juice/V8, scraping the roux from the bottom of the pot as you do. add canned tomatoes, whatever kind, as many as you want. Season with a heavy teaspoon of oregano, half teaspoon of cayenne, half teaspoon of black pepper, heavy teaspoon of salt. Adjust seasonings to personal taste.

Check pantry. A can of beans, any canned vegetables, potatoes, basically, whatever you have, and whatever sounds right. almost anything goes. add a handful of pasta, and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, until pasta is al dente, the whole process takes about an hour.

Last night, I used leftover chuck roast. Along with the listed ingredients, I used a can of great northern beans and a can of chick peas, summer squash discs, and small bow tie pasta. serve with bread.

This stuff is healthy, cheap, and tasty. As I said, adjust seasonings up to whatever level you need, add whatever you need, but those listed are key to making the tomato base palatable. Cut the meat small, so you can get by with a fraction of what would go into a stew.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote