Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Augie754

Rocky Patel Select Maduro Torpedo

Rocky Patel Select Maduro Torpedo
Cigar Size = 6 x 52
Country of Origin = Honduras
Wrapper = Costa Rican
Binder =
Filler = Nicaraguan, Honduran
Purchased From = Famous-Smoke.com
Purchase Date = 2007-09-13
Purchase price = $2.00
Smoke Date = 2008-06-29
Location/Occasion = Home, Delaware, Ohio
Weather = Started out raining and 73 F, 65% Relative Humidity, by the end was sunny and 78 F, 60% Relative Humidity

Appearance = 8.3
This standard torpedo was straight with a nice tapered end. However, it was a lumpy and the cap was a little rough. The wrapper was a very dark maduro brown with only a small amount of discoloration. Even though the veins were small, the texture was a bit coarse and looked a little dry. This cigar comes unbanded.

Construction = 7.9
After a perfect cut with my Palio, the pre-smoke draw was just about right. The bunch was firm, but the cigar felt light for it's size. After lighting the cigar softened and burnt uneven for the first 3 inches and needed some touch-ups, but after burnt straight. The draw was a little tight the whole way, but nothing I couldn't stand. It's ash was a brownish gray and very flakey, but was still able to hold on for over an inch.

Taste = 8.2
A quick pre-smoke draw revealed a light cedar flavor. Upon lighting it was very peppery, but quickly smoothed out to a full flavored spice and coffee taste. It continued be be full strength and flavored throughout. It also continued with spice and coffee with a hint of sweetness from the maduro wrapper. It had a touch of harshness at the end - a little more age might correct. The finish was long with cinnamon and spice flavors. This was a nice solid smoke, but didn't blow me away.

Overall
I've had about 5 of these from different bundles and this was the best. Some of the others were harsh and tasteless, so there are some consistency issues, I guess this is to be expected with seconds. If they were all like this it would be a great value.

Appearance = 8.3 x 1
Construction = 7.9 x 3
Taste = 8.2 x 6
Overall = 8.12
Strenth Rating = Full

Rating scale:
10.0 - 9.5 = buy at any price
9.5 - 9.0 = premium price box worthy
9.0 - 8.5 = box worthy
8.5 - 8.0 = single or 5 pack worthy
8.0 - 7.0 = single worthy if dirt cheap
7.0 - 6.0 = will smoke if given for free