Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

A Contest... Inspired by...

I will be holding 3 contests in the days ahead... this one won 3rd place for briand in a just completed contest over in 'close but no cigar'

Here's the contest:

Open to all members

Judges: you'll all get to vote to pick the winner

Prize: at least 25 cigars from grtrx

Contest:

Create a menu for a herf - 4 courses - appetizer, soup or salad, main course, desert and pairing with beverage of your choice and cigars for each course... so 4 course, 4 flights and 4 rounds if you think that way.

Entries accepted until 4/22/2012 at 5 pm Central time. After the entries are in I will set up a poll so the winner can be selected.

Voting will close 4/26/2012 at 5pm central time

Good luck!

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
N99
Herf Meister

Appetizer: shrimp cocktail. Drink: martini. Cigar: excalibur #5

Soup: gazpacho. Drink: bloody mary. Cigar: PDR Classico Robusto

Main course: Maine lobster. Drink: Classic daiquiri. Cigar: Tatuaje Miami cojonu 2006

Dessert: chocolate mousse. Drink: long island iced tea. Cigar: Arturo Fuentes Anejo 49.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
N99
Herf Meister

I hope that is what you were talking about, and thanks for the contest!

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

spot on! enjoy the contest!

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
xavier
Club Member

Appetizer:
Dish: Tiger shrimps marinated in Pesto sauce with garlic, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and sprinkle of lemon zest, salt and pepper, skewered on bamboo sticks with cherry tomatoes in between. Barbecued on natural wood coal.
Drink: Cut up 3 or 4 different kind of tomatoes ( Roma, Cherry, yellow tomatoes, etc…) , a bunch of fresh basil, sprigs of thyme, one cut up red chilli pepper and salt. Add all into a mixer puree well. Empty into a fine cheese cloth and let the juices drain into a container overnight in a refrigerator. Take the pinkish liquid and add a preferable amount of good vodka, serve in a chilled Martini glasses with a couple of Basil leaves for decoration.
Cigar: A Romeo Y Julieta short churchill. The peppery sweet tones will blend well with the afternotes of the shrimp and smoke perfectly with the cool peppery/sweet drink.

Salad:
Dish: A slice of Beefsteak tomato, add a slice of Vidalia onion, then place a wedge of cold lettuce on top. Served with sezty ranch dressing with crumbled blue cheese, or raspberry vinaigrette with shaved aged parmesan cheese
Drink: A 2002 Lis Neris Iris- Pinot Grigio. It has crisp and clean flavors that work well with the salad and the cheeses.
Cigar: A Davidoff Mellinium Lonsdale. The earthy spicy sweetness combined with the salad and the crisp fruity apple raspberry and currant from the wine work in harmony together.

Main course:
Dish: Two inch Filet mignon covered in sea salt, fresh pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, extra virgin olive oil, dash of Worcestershire sauce , barbecued on very hot fire. Let the outer part crisp on all sides, the inside will be still red. Cut in quarter inch slices, serve with chimichrurri sauce. With side dish of roasted potatoes with whole garlic cloves and rosemary.
Drink: A 2004 Castello Banfi Brunello Di Montalcino. A superb wine from the Tuscany region.
Cigar: Either a P.G. 15th anniversary Belicoso extra, a Soiree Connoisseur, or a Symphony 20 Connoisseur. Any of these three cigars work magic with the flavored Filet, and enhances the nutty and fruity wine.

Desert:
Dish: A panna cotta topped with diced strawberries and raspberries, served with raspberry coulis
Drink: A 2007 Fonseca vintage port, an excellent year for this port with hints of blackberry, raspberry and currant.
Cigar: A Ramon Allones 2009 regional edition Lebanon, an exceptional robusto. A perfect end for a great dinner.

I have prepared and cooked all of these dishes before, and they are great. But I believe I stand no chance to what BIGO will have in store...

Thank you for a great contest Jeff.

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing...Col Hans Landa

Last edited by xavier; 04-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Very cool idea! But remember, most of us have millionaire taste on a bag-boy budget.

Appetizer: Cubed cheese (swiss, colby, jack), olives, almonds. Drink: JD Single Barrel. Cigar: Rocky Patel R4

Soup: Italian Wedding. Drink: Iced Tea. Cigar: Perdomo Lot 23

Main course: Rib-eye, red potatoes, grilled zucchini. Drink: Killians Red. Cigar: Gran Habano Vintage 2000

Dessert: Lemon pound cake w/ rum. Drink: good sipping Rum. Cigar: Torano Tribute 2004 maduro

Now I'm hungry.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...

Last edited by gui_tarzan; 04-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I can't imagine smoking 4 cigars over the course of one meal. I've never smoked 4 cigars in one day - ever. During the course of one meal - NO WAY.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

the rules do not say you have to finish the food, the beverage nor the cigars

Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

time is running out to enter...

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

those got there in a hurry! Hope they are tasty!