Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Montegrl
Club Member

wine questions

Hello guys. I havent had any decent wine in a while and would like some tips. We used to go for mainly Austrailian Shiraz or Chianti. But anything red with a 3 dimensional dark berry based flavor, not too strong on the alcohol but enough for the flavor to develop as it sits, hubby likes a slightly sweet aftertaste but Im ok without it, either way. Wood notes ok but dislike it being a prominant factor in reds (although ok in whites). Not really up on correct wine terms.

We went to a tasting and liked the 2003 Chateau Bourgneuf, Pomerol.
Pretty good after it sat about 3-5 minutes. 10 min was too long and the flavor started to go downhill (of course the bottle had already been open for hours before we got a glass). Had a strong wild fruity (light not dark berry) and flowery aroma (maybe roses) and strong alcohol smell initially. These flavors eventually settled down into a deeper more suttle 3 dimensional full bodied taste. The fruity taste became more of a berry/slight tannic. And the alcohol became less prominant. It had a full lingering aftertaste that was very pleasant.

Im looking for wines that are in the $15 - $30 range mostly. Although Im open to slightly below or above that range if fantastic. Dont have to be from any specfic area. In fact, if you make some in your backyard thats good, give me a shout. Also, Anyone know about the above mentioned wine ?An earlier year or a cousin already "blooming" or whatever ?

Thanks
Montegrl is offline   Reply With Quote