Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I'm really starting to like our freshman congressman. I don't agree with him on everything, but he's accomplished more in his first term than our last two representatives did in their combined 3 terms. Here's his response.

Quote:
May 16, 2016

Mr. Robert Geyer, Jr.
25 Elm Hill Way
Camillus, NY 13031-1646

Dear Mr. Geyer, Jr.,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 662, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2015. It is good to hear from you.

As you may know, on February 2, H.R. 662 was introduced in the House and has since been referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce, where it awaits review. I believe it is imperative that we work to reduce the use of tobacco products by our youth. However, I do not believe the regulation of tobacco products not used by youth will prove productive in this effort. For this reason, I have cosponsored H.R. 662, which would exempt the traditional large and premium cigar industry, which does not target youth, from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important matter. I hope that you will continue to keep me informed of the issues important to you and your family, as your input helps me to better serve you as your Representative in Congress. If you would like to stay informed of the latest issues coming out of Washington, you can visit www.katko.house.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter.

Sincerely,
John Katko
Member of Congress
I'm not concerned about the use of the terms premium and large, unless those terms come to mean $10 cigars or more. I think those words are generally used to describe handmade cigars that most of us smoke. It would not include machine made cigars. While I don't want the FDA taking over any tobacco products, this exception would at least protect the cigars that we all enjoy. For now.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote