Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Wankel
Herf God

Am I committing a cardinal sin?

For frozen fruity drinks like margaritas and daquiris, I use cheap rum and tequila - Port Royal, Old Mr. Boston, Montezuma - because the fruity flavor of these drinks can be so overwhelming. Am I committing a faux pas? How many of you do the same or should I be pummeled with an empty 1.75 plastic rum bottle?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

IMO there are inexpensive good rums and tequilas out there that will make better cocktails, even fruity frozen ones.

Ron Mathusalem Platino is an excellent white rum and Hornitos Tequila is nice tequila both of which won't be a waste if mixed.

But drink what you like.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
AnejoMofo
Club Member

No faux pas, my man. That's exactly right. The high quality stuff is made to be enjoyed on its own. Why dilute it with other flavors or complex mixtures? When you're making a cocktail use the cheaper stuff. This idea is supported by such notables as Kingsley Amis who wrote extensively about drink. That's how I do it.
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
soxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINACTUARY
But drink what you like.
I am a Drink what you bought person. I have a Brazilian Rum that I bought because it came with a musher. That stuff smells grouse and tastes like it smells....but it has to go. So, mixing it with Coke helps make the bottle go away
Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
casual
Club Member

I've got some Bacardi Gold Kerosene flavored rum. I might mix it with my gas for the lawn mower, but I dont think I can bring myself to drink it.

Maybe I could save it for a party??
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Bacardi should've just stuck to the white dry rum, IMO. It makes a yummy planter's punch. Well, the way I make planters punch, that is.

It's a few more bucks, but I just love Mount Gay as a mixer. You can get a 1.5 liter for around 29 dollars here.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

I thought you hate Mount Gays?
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual
I've got some Bacardi Gold Kerosene flavored rum. I might mix it with my gas for the lawn mower, but I dont think I can bring myself to drink it...

I usually don't buy anything I wouldn't drink straight.

Not being snobbish, but I've come to prefer quality over quantity, even in mixed drinks.
So I've cut back to only five or six drinks at a sitting instead of seven or eight.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

You are the model of restraint!
- Viktor Frankl
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Try Bacardi Select. @ $10.00, give or take a dollar or 2; decent taste, though I wouldn't drink it straight when I could get better--but it gives a decent rum taste to your drinks without wasting a more expensive sipping rum; it is a dark rum, so it it might not make the prettiest drink; but it does a lot better than regular Bacardi, Ronrico, etc., and is less expensive than Matusalem.

Captain Morgan's also adds a little more flavor (duh!) to those frozen drinks.