Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
T2P

Rocky Patel Sun Grown

After a long day of driving and finally getting settled at my folks place I decided that a cigar was in order. Although my father does not smoke often, he does seem to enjoy it when we get a chance to smoke a couple of sticks together. I supplied him with a Tatuaje Havana and for myself a Rocky Patel Sun Grown Robusto.

Prelight inspection revealed a very well constructed cigar with minimal veins. When pinched there was the right amount of give without any inconsistent spots. Using my guillotine I was able to make a nice clean cut. The prelight draw was very good although the lack of much flavor was a bit disconcerting. The foot toasted nicely and after the first puff was burning away. First notes yielded a prominent tobacco flavor with slightly sweet notes. There was a large volume of smoke that accompanied the perfectly even burn. The smoke was very mild for about the first inch.

At about this time a pleasant spice flavor presented itself. This combined with the volumes of dense, creamy smoke promised a good smoke. A cedar undertone became evident and the spice crossed over into the realm of peppery. As the first third began to finish off a slightly sour taste showed up that I was not a fan of at all. It quickly passed and I am not sure what the cause of that might have been as I was only drinking filtered water at this point.

The rest of the cigar remained very consistent throughout. I smoked the cigar to just past the band and decided to lay it to rest. Overall impressions of this smoke are that it burns wonderfully, produces copious amounts of smoke and begins very nicely. Unfortunately, however, I have to say that I found this one to be pretty boring. The flavor profile did not change beyond the first couple of inches. This coupled with its mild nature left me wanting more from this. Being mediocre at best, I would probably not buy one of these again or seek one out but may give it another shot if it happened to cross my path although I am sure I could find much more enjoyable ones out there.