Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
moki
Club Member

Opus X Belicoso 1997 review

picture: http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew...-Images/10.jpg

Opus X Belicoso 1997 (5 ½" x 49) -- In honor of actually having a night in Rochester that's above 40 degress, I stepped out on the porch to relax and have one of these 7 year old Opus X cigars that have been cedar wrapped for the past 2 years. These cigars are actually Opus X xXx (PowerRanger) prototypes that are almost an inch longer than the release xXx cigars.

They were never officially sold until the Forbidden X humidor came with 8 of these cigars in 2002; Carlito did give them out at a couple of CFC functions (though then, without the cedar and red ribbon foot).

I decided to pair it with some slightly-chilled Kaika "Kazeno Ichirin" sake; this medium bodied junmai ginjo goes well with a cigar; it is tasty without being overpowering. An excellent palette cleaner that helps bring out the flavors in a cigar rather than overpower them.

Sniffing the foot, the Opus still has hints of the slightly floral raison/plumb spice that is characteristic of the brand, but it is slightly muted and rounded compared to more recent Opus X's. A snip and a light later, and we're in business.

Just holding the cigar in my mouth, I can feel the Opus X jalapeño
spice coming through. The first few draws bring forth burnt coffee flavors, something unusual for an Opus, but the characteristic Opus X profile come to the scene shortly thereafter: spicy, creamy, and a slight citrus aftertaste that is accompanied by deeper leathery/earthy flavors that are not as pronounced in young Opus X cigars.

This cigar is quite firm, and has a slightly tight draw, but I can still easily get copious amounts of flavorful billowy white smoke from it. The burn is razor-sharp, with a mottled grayish ash. No touch-ups or re-lights were needed (something that is common for younger Opus).

As the cigar smokes down, cedary notes are evident, with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg flitting around the edges of the core jalapeño spice. The aftertaste is milky, semi-sweet, with a wonderful roasted almond/cedar bouquet.

The sake pairing turned out to be an excellent one indeed, providing a great counterbalance to the Opus X as it grew in profile. As the cigar got down to a few inches in length, my lips and mouth had a wonderful tingling sensation akin to that of a meal balanced with chili-pepper spices and floral sweetness.

Continuing to smoke the cigar ratchets up the intensity of the flavors emanating from it; as you become somewhat used to the spicy profile, some of the more subtle almond, cherry, and leathery flavors dance around your tongue. A few solid back to back puffs pulls the spicy back to the fore; a little kick in the pants that aficionados of Thai cuisine will understand intuitively.

This cigar was exactly what an Opus should be; I was surprised that the years hadn't taken much off of the power the cigar can offer -- I recckon it can easily age another 7 years and still maintain profile, and develop as a cigar. It's still strong enough that blowing the smoke through my nose (something I avoid when smoking younger Opus, for a reason) brings a tear to my eye.

The age clearly allowed the 7 different tobaccos in this puro to blend, marry, and develop in wonderful ways. The high pitch spice, mellow cherry sweetness, floral creaminess, and deeper roasted almond and leathery undertones combined with an array of more subtle spices to produce a truly complex and wonderful smoking experience.

As someone else mentioned, after smoking this cigar, I feel like I need to smoke a cigarette (just like after sex)... quite a sensual treat for your tongue.