Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
nivek
Club Member

Here are my ratings on the Summer 2002 Smoke Cigar Review!

CIGAR #5 Vegas de Fonseca Vegas #5

Aesthetics: 3.0
Rustic looking Thick ring guaged boxpressed toro with a cameroon wrapper, Several wrinkles and water splotched
on the wrapper.

Construction: 3.0
Cap was very poorly done on all of the samples, also the cigar was a bit lumpy in its roll. The draw was like sucking
on a straw, way too easy!

Flavor and Strength: 2.9
This cigar to me was mild and flavorless. Very nondiscript in its flavor and profile!

General Comments:

I will have to pass on this one, The samples were consistant, consistanly bad!

Overall score of the cigar: 2.9
I would not recommend this cigar! I tried to find something good to say about it but could not!

CIGAR #7 Excalibur 1066 Galahad

Aesthetics: 4.5

Very well made cigar, no flaws at all on any of the samples. If looks could kill this would be lethal!

Construction: 4.5

Expertly made from cap to foot, outstanding draw with a tremendous amount of smoke and a solid white ash!

Flavor and Strength: 2.8

This cigar was bland and grassy in its flavor, lacking any sort of complexity. A mild to medium in flavor that needed
more.

General Comments:
This was a beautiful cigar, very well made but the lack of flavor and complexity really disappointed me. I expected
more, This might be a decent cigar for the beginner!

Overall score for the cigar 3.7
I would not recommend this cigar, It was very one dimentional and never picked up at all! YUCK!!!!!

CIGAR#11 Astral Talanga Valley Selection Toro

Aesthetics: 4.0

Nice looking dark maduro boxpressed toro. Very uniform in color and shape.

Construction: 4.1

Firm roll and great draw in this cigar. Its boxpress was done well! Ash was a bit flakey though.

Flavor and Strength: 4.1

A nice flavor in this solid medium strength cigar, a nice spicy flavor profile with a suttle aftertaste that was very
pleasent.

General Comments:

All the samples were very consistant and was great with my evening port!

Overall Score of the Cigar: 4.1

I highly recommend this cigar and for the proper price this could be a go to cigar!

CIGAR #12 Don Thomas Dominican Selection lonsdale

Aesthetics: 3.0

Rough veiny wrapper that was a bit ugly and dry looking, Shape was like a tounge depressor.

Construction: 3.2

A were a few loose spots on all the samples, but they all had a good draw and ample amounts of smoke, all had slight
burn problems which i atribute to the weird style roll!

Flavor and Strength:3.8

A very earthly nutty flavor were present in this medium strength cigar. After taste was a bit musty!

General Comments:

This cigar had the wrong flavor profile for me but i think alot of people will like these cigars. If i was to venture a
guess i would say this was a perdomo!
Overall score for the Cigar: 3.6

I will recommend that people try this cigar, although its not for me others might like its flavor!

CIGAR #13 Occidental Havana Sun Grown Corona

Aesthetics: 4.2

Very nice looking shiny ems wrapper which was very uniform in color and shape.

Construction: 4.1

Solid roll with a great looking cap. great job on this one. draw was good but the ash was a bit flakey.

Flavor and Strength: 3.0

Mild to medium cigar in strength, Flavor was severly lacking and bland even one dimentional.

General Comments:

I was really disappointed in this cigar, it looked great both in aesthetics and construction but the total lack of flavor
killed it! This might be ok for a beginning cigar smoker!

Overall score for the Cigar: 3.6
Possibly Recommend for a beginner!

CIGAR # 14 Davidoff Millenium Blend Petite Corona

Aesthetics: 4.4

Great looking smooth silky wrapper, Looks tasty! Makes you look forward to smoking it!

Construction: 4.4
Expertly made cigar that is smooth and solid, a perfect burn, firm ash and great draw with large volumes of smoke.

Flavor and Stength: 3.5

This medium strength cigar had a slightly bitter aftertaste. Flavor was somewhat creamy with just a small amount of
spice, although lacking on its complexity

General Comments:

This cigar was lacking something to me, I think its construction was 1st rate, but its bitter aftertaste just did not suit
me!

Overall Score for the cigar:3.8

Possibly Recommend Again well made but its just ok!

EXTRA NOTE: i smoke one of these in a different size in the spring edtion, that one was a lonsdale!

CIGAR# 15 AVO Signature Robusto

Aesthetics: 4.4
This cigar could win a beauty contest, very nice looking flawless wrapper. Very uniform in color and shape!

Construction: 4.2

Nice solid roll with a firm gray ash. I love firm ashes. Burn was razor sharp with huge volumes of smoke!

Flavor and strength: 4.2

Medium strength cigar was very nice. I normally smoke stronger cigars but this one is a keeper. It started out a bit
mild but built in both strength and complexity. This one is a keeper

General Comments:

This cigar started out slow but built and built. Many of these will be in my Humidor! A very pleasurable cigar!

Overall score for this cigar: 4.3

Highly Recommend. It is one great cigar!

CIGAR# 16 Cuban Corona Gigante

Aestetics: 4.2

Nice looking dark maduro Double Corona that had a rich smelling aroma!
Construction: 4.2

A solid rolled good cigar that had a great draw and a nice amount of smoke! Nice smooth roll on such a large cigar!

Flavor and Stength: 4.0

This cigar was milder than it looked, It had decent flavor but a mild to medium strength and a unique aftertaste.

General Comments:

This cigar was too mild for my humidor but it was very pleasent and should be enjoyed by many mild cigar smokers.

Overall score for the cigar: 4.1

Highly Recommend For the mild cigar smokers

NOTE: Perdomo will be happy, I gave one of there cigars a decent review!