Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Pricing yourself out of the market

Cigars, like other things for me, go through cycles. I go awhile where I am perfectly happy trying new things, looking for the ultimate $2 cigar. Eventually, I turn back into a crusty curmudgeon where I am set in my ways and only want to smoke what I want to smoke.

One big contributing factor is price. When we had the SCHIP we all worried prices would go up up up. I didn't see that. The first months after I saw things staying close to the same. I feel we are just now seeing the effects in new releases. It is no longer profitable to concept, blend, and test an inexpensive cigar. All new releases I'm remotely interested in are over 5 bucks. At that price, it's hard for me to justify not lighting up another Fausto, or spending a couple bucks more for a Cojonu 2003. I'm also hesitant to check out the new releases such as CroMagnon or Viaje lines as the price is up there.

Currently, I'm down to three cigars I really, really want to smoke: Tatuaje Cojonu 2003, Fausto, and Opus. Surprisingly, my interest in Opus is even at an all time low and I'm only really excited to find bigger vitolas like DC, PerfX, or RdC. Of the three, Fausto is the only one that has a decent price point, and I worry I will smoke myself bored on those too. I'm just not happy and this lack of enjoyment has kept me from buying for a while. At the prices for the stuff I like, I haven't felt like buying as much as I've felt like putting that money into other things.

As far as other offerings, I can honestly say that after 10 years I have lost interest in all the rest of my old favorites to the point I have considered hanging it up. Have any other long time cigar smokers faced this? How did you handle it? I guess I won't hear from the quitters as they wouldn't be here Suggestions?
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.

Last edited by jb; 09-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote