Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

While significant evaporation may not take place in a traditional, cork-stoppered bottle of wine, the cork does still act as a conduit of sorts, allowing wine to saturate through (with time) to the cap (be it metal, plastic or wax). The space thus created within the bottle will, of necessity, fill with oxygen. This is why wine bottles cellared for an extensive period often see their contents gradually fall from a high neck level to a low neck or even shoulder level. Corks are notoriously variable in grain and density, and one will encounter different degrees of loss of liquid volume even amongst top-flight estate-bottled wines. The other problem one comes across with natural corks occurs when it's time to finally broach the wine. Saturated corks on bottles that have been aged beyond 15 to 20 years can be terribly difficult to remove, having a propensity to break or simply crumble into little pieces. Teflon-coated double-helix corkscrews make the task somewhat easier, but one has to be careful to extract the cork in a 'smooth-action' manner.