Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Joya de Nicaragua Antano Lancero

A great-looking cigar that seemed to offer the promise of a long, tasty smoke. From the initial flame, there is no doubt the Antano line is anything but full-flavor and full-body. Not as harsh or peppery as I had anticipated, the flavor was woodsy and full of spice, with the distinct taste of bell peppers coming through. Complex with a lot of subtleties. The aroma was heavenly. But damn, these should come with warning labels!!! Something like 'Do not operate vehicles while smoking' or 'Get ready to be kicked in the teeth", etc. It was a poor choice of cigar for my drive home this evening, especially since I smoked it before eating dinner. Had to pull over a couple of times to collect myself, felt like puking for the last 40 miles of my trip. Tasty, but the overwhelming strength is not my cup of tea. If I want a bitch slapping, I'll mouth off to the wife (at least that doesn't make me puke!).
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
bipolar
Club Member

this

This line is one of my favorites...have yet to try the lancero! Thanks for the warning!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

That narrow ring gauge is going to intensify that ligero, someone told me this evening.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
mrkmitch
Club Member

Nice review .
JDNA is always a good smoke..... best enjoyed after a meal, or at least with something on your stomach. I've not tried the Lancero yet either (Consul is my favorite), but I agree with Tommy, the smaller ring can intensify certain tobacco flavors/strengths of some blends. JDNA must be one of them.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
JulietasRomeo
Herf Meister

I was gifted a Machito, my first JDN might I add, and I was highly impressed. I can't wait to try the rest of the line

JulietasRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
Danno114
Club Member

Thanks for the review.

I love the JDN Antanos, especially the Churchill. Great smoke, reasonable prices.
Danno114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
MountChuck
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB
That narrow ring gauge is going to intensify that ligero, someone told me this evening.
The narrower ring gauge concentrates the heat which will definitely intensify the flavors. Seems counterintuitive, but larger ring gauges usually are easier to handle when smoking the fuller-bodied, spicier smokes because they spread out the heat.
MountChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
casual
Club Member

Only cigar that has kicked my butt. Not the Lancero size, but the Robusto size. First and last was over two years ago. Tasty bugger, but it was worse than a cheap beer hangover.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Wow, sounds like a great cigar! I love the JdN line, so I'm going to have to give the lanceros a shot. I love the lancero shape.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
FredJ_VI
Club Member

Powerful ?

... Okay you got my attention.

I really need to try one of these
FredJ_VI is offline   Reply With Quote