Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
vicsteele
Club Member

Kitty Litter update

It has been almost a year now that I had setup a coolerdor with nothing more than some spanish cedar trays and 2 pantyhose "sausages" filled up with kitty litter pearls that I tuned the RH myself.

The RH started at 65% at 73 degrees. As I have filled up the cooler the RH would go up to 68% for a couple weeks and then level back down. This is most likely due to over humidification from the vendor. As I add boxes and finally filled it up, the RH is steady at 66% and so far it required NO maitenence whatsoever. I have a little OUST fan that circulates the air , which I just remembered that needs a new battery.

So far this cheap and simple setup has been amazing. The bag of litter I got from a local grocery store for $8 for about 10 pounds. I still have more than half that bag just sitting in my garage. I will probably throw that away because of the extra humidity in the air that it may have picked up.

This is the litter I bought

http://www.ultrapet.com/ultrapearls/ultrapearls.html

They make the plain and one with the blue crystals. Please buy the plain silica one.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:20 AM   #2
cubano67
Herf Meister

Excellent. Tim and I have been testing the Ultrapet "Crystal Clear" Pearls and, so far, they work really well, too.

www.cumberlandcigar.com
-----------------------------------
Support Your Local Tobacconist
cubano67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
eagle eyes eric
Herf Meister

Re: Kitty Litter update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsteele
So far this cheap and simple setup has been amazing. The bag of litter I got from a local grocery store for $8 for about 10 pounds. I still have more than half that bag just sitting in my garage. I will probably throw that away because of the extra humidity in the air that it may have picked up.
why not grab a couple of sealable bags, throw the beads in there, and save them for a friend - or another cooler - or whatever. at least they'd be safe from sucking moisture out of the air......... though I'm not sure it would matter that much at this time of year.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

It appears that as long as you get a pearl or bead type kitty litter it will work just fine.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

When you put them in the hose do you put water in the cooler too or do you wet the beads in the bag?

I would think hose would mold after a while if you sprayed them to keep the beads moist. And wouldn't you have to put something under them to keep the bag from getting the humi wet, which may not be a prob in a cooler but could be in a cedar humi.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
vicsteele
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eyes eric
Quote:
why not grab a couple of sealable bags, throw the beads in there, and save them for a friend - or another cooler - or whatever. at least they'd be safe from sucking moisture out of the air......... though I'm not sure it would matter that much at this time of year.
My mistake. I didn't seal that bag up well.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
cohiba123

I heard it works well, and very cheap!
cohiba123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
gary106334

Quote:
It has been almost a year now that I had setup a coolerdor with nothing more than some spanish cedar trays and 2 pantyhose "sausages" filled up with kitty litter pearls that I tuned the RH myself.

How did you "tune the RH"?
gary106334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
eagle eyes eric
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary106334
Quote:

How did you "tune the RH"?
I would have water next to the beads until they got to the RH that I wanted and then take the water out. The first couple of days it may jump around a few degrees but I'd watch it and eventually got it to 66 - where I want it.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
gary106334

Thanks.
gary106334 is offline   Reply With Quote