Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Maker's Mark?

Any fans?
Is it a premium drink, or just a premium price?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

It's got a fan base, but I am not among them. When I first tried it many years ago, I thought it was quite good. As soon as it became ultra popular, the quality seemed to drop. The last time I tried it, I found it a bit harsh without a lot of depth.

I think there are better whiskeys out there for the price.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

it is OK but there is better for the price - it lacks something - I prefer Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

I like it. It's light and easy to drink and I guess that's why it's gotten so popular in recent years.

Day to day I'd rather have Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek, but I still keep a bottle on hand.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

So....Maker's Mark and Jack Daniels. You've now hit on two "polarizing pours," as it were. Both are very popular, both have massive name recognition due to heavy advertising....and there's a correlation there.

I think most folks here would agree that volume of production does not equate to quality. Small batch or single barrel issues represent hand-crafting and great care taken in the manufacturing process, whereas monster labels like Jack Black (and perhaps Maker's Mark as well) represent production on a massive, industrial scale.

If you want some great libations, try some of the names mentioned frequently around here: Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey (especially the Rare Breed), Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elmer T Lee, Ancient Ancient Age....there's a really long list, and it covers a lot of price points.

Bottom line: For the same price as Maker's or Jack, you can get a lot better product.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

It's also a good idea to read up on the mash-bill of any whiskey you're contemplating purchasing (such as whether the 'secondary' grain in the mash-bill is rye or wheat), as this information may help to clue you in to the overall style of the spirit. A 'wheat-balanced' make usually offers a slightly more easy-going style (i.e. smoothness), while a 'rye-balanced' recipe will probably exhibit that characteristics bitter-sweet twist that many find so addictive.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Bottom line: For the same price as Maker's or Jack, you can get a lot better product.
amen

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
jwrussell
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut
It's also a good idea to read up on the mash-bill of any whiskey you're contemplating purchasing (such as whether the 'secondary' grain in the mash-bill is rye or wheat), as this information may help to clue you in to the overall style of the spirit. A 'wheat-balanced' make usually offers a slightly more easy-going style (i.e. smoothness), while a 'rye-balanced' recipe will probably exhibit that characteristics bitter-sweet twist that many find so addictive.
This is important people, pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary Puff
it is OK but there is better for the price - it lacks something - I prefer Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Wild Turkey...
Prime example. Every one of those is a Rye recipe bourbon. Different animal than a Wheat recipe bourbon like Makers or Pappy Van Winkle 12 year for instance.

I, like others, am not a huge fan of Makers, but a good portion of that comes from the fact that over all, I prefer Rye recipe bourbons. That being said, Makers has its place as a good, easy drinking, wheater bourbon. However, as I tend to spend more time on the Rye's, I spend the money for Pappy Van Winkle 12 year (LOT and, when I can get it, William Larue Weller (the antique edition that comes out once a year). The Pappy is a wonderful wheat recipe bourbon that really is head and shoulders above Maker's in my eye and the WLW is a full power, uncut Wheater which gives me some of the power I like from Rye while still being a Wheat recipe.
jwrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
casual
Club Member

Woodford Reserve

Black label Evan Williams... looks like the JD bottle, great tasting, half the price of JD.

I dont own any Makers but I'll drink it. My dad used to drink the heck out of it.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Linn
Club Member

Re: Maker's Mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan
Any fans?
Is it a premium drink, or just a premium price?
Maker's Mark is both. They started the whole premium bourbon niche, and it has grown exponentially ever since.

Linn