Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Does everyone here hate Jack Daniels?

Not trying to start a flame war, just an honest question.

I seldom have a drink, very seldom..so I know next to nothing about bourbons, wines...and other spirits.

However for the occasion I want one, I want the best I can get (and afford)

Up till now it's been Jack, but it seems the least favorite here.

What do you guys prefer and why?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

I like it, but not the black label bottle. I like the green label, which has been filtered less and is a bit younger, I believe.

I think George Dickel is a better TN whiskey.

I prefer Buffalo Trace, but can only get it when I venture out of Alabama. Wild Turkey 101 is also a favorite, and that I can get here.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
cigarfan
Herf God

Thanks
I know a little more about whiskey than brain surgery.
IOW, next to nothing.
I just know I want a smooth drink on occasion with a great cigar.
I've got the second part down, just working on the first.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Huey
CW's Shark Wrangler
Herf God

I guess it would depend on mood. I don't smoke, but when I did, I would pair a cigar with about anything.

I am a bourbon fan in general, and like TN whiskey and rye as well. I prefer Irish whisky to Scotch, and when I drink the latter, I like the highland single malts.

A good sugar cane rum is always good. Not a fan of martini's when smoking, since they tend to be saltier than most cocktails.

I would read what's here to get an idea of what you would want to try, then let your own tastes guide you. I have read reviews of things that said those things were crap, and I loved it. I have experienced the opposite, as well. No other person can tell you what you will or won't enjoy. I'd just have fun sampling things until you figure it out.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I don't care for the charcoal flavor of Jack, but that it was they are famous for so obviously a lot of people like that burnt flavor to their whisky. I tend to not like many scotch's for a similar reason, they taste predominately of peat, which IMO masked the flavor of the whiskey. I prefer a good Irish whisky such as Bushmill Black or Redbreast or some of the small batch Kentucky bourbons.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I don't much care for the rawness of JD or the charcoal flavor. Gentleman Jack is a better drink from the same place. I vastly prefer small batch bourbon - Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, there are many. Rounder more complex flavors than JD #7

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
DUplayboy
Herf Meister

I have it around for a mixer.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

If it's Jack Daniel's, then my pick would be the Single Barrel, which has true character (not to mention clocking in at a higher proof).

Otherwise, my tastes are fairly eclectic, though I certainly do enjoy single malt Scotch.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I'm really not a Jack Daniels fan - it's that charcoal/burnt taste thing. The green label is a bit more appealing (I really can't stomach the black), but as Huey says, Dickel is a better Tennessee whiskey.

Buffalo Trace (easily available here) is my go-to pour - by far the best bourbon in the $20 range IMO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Great minds think alike there Mad Dawg.

I don't hate the stuff, but there are much better whiskies in that price range be it, Tennessee or Bourbon. I'll take single barrel over the black all day everyday, and nearly any Bourbon over it as well.

To steal a phrase I read here once, "The only thing premium about Jack Black is the price."
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote