Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
AKDiscer

Question Lighters

I've been shopping around looking at lighters and I'm not really sure what the differences are between them. Would someone enlighten me or provide an educational link, I'd like to purchase a decent one that'll last. I'm afraid to buy these $100 lighters that some swear by and others say are crap.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
N8DCJ
Club Member

AK

well there all sorts of opinions as you are finding out , I use a butane torch , a bic , but , lately been going old school and using matches...

also if you haven't started one already , start a similar thread on cutters , I need a new one and have started looking around.

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
beevod
Herf God

Kitchen matches -- work great, don't need fuel. Cheapo convenience store lighter for outdoors and the car.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

very cheap often don't last long, but I have a couple that just keep going

do you want a soft flame or a torch... soft is like a zippo or a bic... torch is that pointed tip like a welder

there are plenty of mid range lighters that work fine... the blazer torch at 30-50 bucks is an old standby

I have not heard anyone say they don't work

that's my opinion, good luck

buylighters has good deals

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

http://www.buylighters.com/

as to high end lighters, I have one, I love it, but it was a gift to myself after doing a huge amount of work to get a deal done. It is not an everyday lighter - I am not going to travel with it and leave it behind. But it is a work of art.

and my throw away lighters from buylighters light my cigars as well as the high end...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
jgbutler
Herf Meister

I'd say unless you just want to have a high end lighter for no other reason than to have one, save the money and buy more cigars. There are a ton of inexpensive lighters out there that will get your cigars lit just fine. Here are the lighters that I have and all have lasted for years with no problems.

Xikar single flame torch
Zippo torch insert
Blue Rhino soft flame
Solo dual torch

All of them fairly cheap and work fine.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I use one of the hundreds of bics that are lost around my house, if I can find one, that is.

If I am smoking outside, won't be near a place that is draft free, I like a torch. Ronson makes "disposable" refillable lighters that sell for about $5-10.
they last for a long time. I lose them before they quit working. They look like hell, though, after a few months.

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323...3C352337nu0mrj

Walmart carries them in most stores, or you can find them online. 10-15 of them beats the hell out of carrying a $100 lighter that will just get broken or lost.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
macsauce13
Club Member

Skip the trouble and buy a Xikar. They are beautiful, work really well, and have a lifetime guarantee. If it ever malfunctions or gets too beat up, they'll replace it for free. I have several and use nothing else.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
mannish
Herf God

I like the original blazer after I repaired it but I got this deal, the two non blazer type are junk - The blazer type is very smooth - 5.99 for 3 lighters but like I said two of them are junk

http://www.sirmacho.com/item.php?id=38503

used to like the Ronson jet lite but the last few I bought were not as good
Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Butane jet all the way.

My favorites are the PB-207 Blazer (single flame, ~$35), the Nibo Space 6 (triple flame, ~$15), and the Ronson Jetlite (single flame, ~$5). All get the job done.

Spending big bucks on a lighter would be kind of foolish for me. I buy lots of cheap ones and salt them all over the place, figuring that if one gets lost or craps out, it's no biggie. Lose a $200 Dupont and that's a whole 'nother thing...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote