Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

A couple of new bourbon or bourbon like beverages

Rowans Creek... a bourbon... 14 years old... sweet, caramel, toffee, spicy... a lot of vanilla, some fruit too. This is some good stuff. Needs an ice cube.

Michters Sour Mash.... no bourbon statement, no rye statement, no mash bill notes but nose is rye like, there is spice, vanilla and a rather thin body. Flavors run less vanilla and more caramel and fruit. Mellow. I could get used to this. Splash of water opens it up. This is supposed to be a throw back to Michters best seller before they went belly up in the late 80s. There is a lot of rye in this and a lot of corn in it... I guess its a blended american whiskey.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

It's fun seeing all of the new whiskers that are coming out, especially the blends. But I'm still more of a single malt kind of guy and I prefer the smoothness of scotch or Irish whiskey over most American renderings.
That being said, Balcones out of Waco Texas is quite nice and earning double golds.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I have a bottle of Scapa which is some interesting scotch... need to taste it again soon and post

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
Old 03-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
I have a bottle of Scapa which is some interesting scotch... need to taste it again soon and post
The current 16-year old edition (or perhaps the previous 14-year old or even older 12-year old official distillery version)? Pretty smooth pour either which way.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I don't know... I believe the 14 year old (that's what it is replacing). Bartender friend gave me a pour the other night, I liked it a lot, but that was at the end of a heavy meal and I am not sure I was in a full tasting mode.

I also have obtained The Dalmore King Alexander but that may take a while to crack open

Related topic.... Michter Celebration SOur Mash is..... 4000 bucks a bottle? 4-0-0-0????? Dollars??? Good gawd my 1975 Pinto didn't cost that much but probably was more likely to burn...

Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
scubadoo97
Club Member

I've have a Rowan's Creek open on the bar. I like it but it's nearly $40 and there are a lot of others that are good at that price. The criticism with Rowan's Creek is that it's sourced whiskey and can vary between lots. Still the ones I've purchased have had some of that nutty flavor that is picked up in some Brown Forman distillates that Willett has turned into liquid gold.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

That is going to be a problem with Rowan, for sure, you see reviews all over the place varying from lot to lot.

FYI the Scapa is 16 years old, and remains unopened.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Phil and I made a trek to Total Wine last week and while there were a lot of bourbons they had in stock that I wanted to try, there weren't any I was willing to pay that for.

I could have easily dropped a couple grand on small batch bourbons I've heard of and wanted to try. $55 for a 350 ml of Hudson Valley whiskey is just not worth it to me. And that was just one of about 50 I wanted to try.

Surprisingly to me, they had very few choices in rye. I guess the new releases haven't trickled down here yet.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
scubadoo97
Club Member

Jason, forget the small craft bourbons for the most part. They don't measure up in most cases and you pay a premium price. Hudson Valley is not a great bourbon at any price IMO.

For a mid shelf offering I'd go with Old Grand Dad 114. About $26 around here. Even the OGD BIB is a tasty bourbon with butterscotch notes for under $20. In Atlanta you will find more than Stan and I will ever see down here. The Elijah Craig Barrel Proof although nearing $50 these days is a very high proof bourbon (ave 130+ pf ) that when you take it down with some water makes the price not so bad. But the regular EC 12 is excellent at under $30
Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo97 View Post
...the regular EC 12 is excellent at under $30...
Around CDN$40 in my neck of the woods, but still very, very good value.